Epilogue

June 1981

Jamie sat surrounded by his peers in the school hall as he waited for the principal to call out his name. He shuffled uncomfortably and adjusted the cap on his head. He could well imagine that as he stepped onto the stage he'd trip over his gown and fall flat on his face. That would be the perfect end to his high school years.

'Lucy Veronica Kinsella,' the principal called out and he snickered under his breath. Veronica! She'd kept that quiet. He watched as she descended the stage, no sign of any nerves but then nothing much phased Lucy. 

It wasn't long before John was called up and he had to bite his tongue even harder when he realised that Junior was an actual part of his name, not simply the pet name he'd always assumed it was. He grimaced as he briefly thought of his own name, his second name, McKenna. He'd seriously contemplated changing it after he'd found out the truth about his father, about Nick. He loathed the man and wanted no part of him, certainly not his name. Surprisingly, his mom had been wary when he'd suggested the idea, reminding him that while he was a minor he'd need Nick's permission to do so. Obviously, that wouldn't be forthcoming.

Jamie had told her that he'd change it as soon as he could then, and she'd agreed it was his decision. However, when he thought about what to change it to he came unstuck. Louis was basically his father, and he'd gladly take his name, yet that seemed sort of fraudulent. He'd considered his mom's maiden name, Harper, but since it was years since she'd used it he didn't feel a connection there either. Whilst he'd contemplated random names he liked the sound of his mom had pointed out that McKenna was no more Nick's name than his. There were thousands of Mckenna's in the world, and he should make the name his own. In the end, he'd agreed. She did talk sense sometimes.

He was so lost in his thoughts he missed his name being called, it was only Kevin's sharp elbow in his side that alerted him. He made his way up onto the stage and grasped the principal's outstretched hand. He looked into the crowd and spotted his mom bobbing up and down, trying to get a clearer view of him. He resisted the temptation to wave, that would be so juvenile. He made his way down the opposite side of the stage and took a seat next to John who gave him the thumbs up.

'I wonder how much longer this shit is gonna take?' John whispered but Jamie wasn't fooled. John was as impressed by the occasion as everyone else was around them.

'Shut up Junior,' Lucy hissed from the other side of him and John grinned. Jamie shook his head, he still couldn't quite believe they were an item. He'd heard of opposites attracting but this was something else. He zoned out their play fighting and tried to watch the rest of the ceremony. When it finally concluded the people around him began to disperse, and he tried to find his family. Muttering apologies as he pushed through the crowd he made his way to where he'd last seen his mom standing.

'Jamie?'

He froze, his father hadn't lost the ability to instil dread into him. He slowly turned around, his face grim.

'Congratulations son,' Nick said reaching out to shake his hand.

Jamie shook his hand without thinking, while his eyes flitted about seeking out his mom. He didn't want her having to deal with Nick on what should be a happy occasion.

'Why are you here?' he asked trying to keep the animosity out of his voice.

Nick smiled. 'I wasn't going to miss my own son's graduation ceremony.' 

Jamie let out a deep breath. He had occasionally seen his dad after the confrontation last year, but their meetings had been brief and stilted. Nick couldn't account for his past, he mostly refused to discuss it insisting it was between him and Charlotte, and Jamie refused to forgive him. Or rather he wouldn't forgive him on his mother's behalf, especially when Nick wasn't admitting any guilt.