Chapter 1: The First Day

2 months earlier

It's the first day of Brooke's senior year at Lincoln High school. Brooke wakes up to the sound of her phone ringing. It's Stacy Collins, her best friend since kindergarten.

"Hello?" Brooke answers groggily.

"Good morning, Brookie! It's the first day of senior year!" Stacy exclaims. "What are you wearing today?"

"Uh," Brooke shuffles to get up. "Give me a second." Brooke stands up and walks over to her closet where her pre-planned outfit is hanging. "Okay, found it."

"Tell me!" Stacy says excitedly.

"I'm wearing a black skirt, that pink and white blouse that we got at Ann Taylor, and my ballet flats. How does that sound?"

"Gorgeous, as usual. Should I wear a dress or is that too much?"

Brooke laughs. "No, you look great in dresses. What about that black floral one you wore to George's wedding?" Brooke puts her phone on speaker and begins to get dressed.

"I knew I called you for a reason! Heels or flats?"

"Flats," Brooke says with confidence, "You don't know how many stairs you'll have to walk up today."

"You're so right."

"Mhm," Brooke takes her hair out of a bun and shakes it before looking in the mirror. "Should I curl my hair today or go natural?"

"Mmm, curl," Stacy answers after thinking for a moment, "Just the ends," She adds.

"Good idea. Thanks, Stace!" Brooke exclaims.

"What are friends for?" Stacy asks jokingly.

"Broooke!" Brooke's mom yells from downstairs.

"Hey, Stace. I gotta go, but I'll see you at Java's." Brooke says as she picks up her phone and takes it off speaker. Java's is the coffee shop down the street from school where Brooke and her friends spend a lot of their time.

"7:45?" Stacy asks.

"Yep. Don't forget to wear that cute headband with your dress. That makes the outfit." Brooke smiles and hangs up the phone.

"Morning, Mom!" Brooke yells to her mother downstairs. "I'll be down soon."

Brooke puts on her flats and walks into the bathroom to curl her hair. She finds the curling iron under the sink, plugs it in, and does her makeup while it heats up. She starts with foundation, then adds a thin line of eyeliner on her eyelid followed by sparkly pink eyeshadow and matching lipgloss. The light changes on her curling iron, so she begins to curl the ends of her hair as Stacy suggested. She quickly brushes her teeth and prepares to leave.

Brooke grabs her backpack from her room and rushes downstairs. She grabs the keys to her car off the table by the door and tells her mom she's leaving.

"Good luck, Sweetie!" Her mom calls out, but Brooke is already out the door.

Brooke pulls up at Java's in her red Mercedes promptly at 7:43am. She puts the car in park and reaches for her phone in her backpack. She sends a text to her group chat telling her friends she has arrived before getting out of the car and walking in.

Brooke walks into the coffee shop and orders a Nonfat Vanilla Latte and a blueberry muffin. Java's is a cute little shop with bags of coffee on the shelves on the wall, pictures of coffee beans and coffee mugs on the other walls, charming coffee mugs for sale on the counter, "Quote of the Day" chalk boards by the door, and a wall of windows to show the outside seating.