Chapter 4

"That was the cutest thing I've ever witnessed," Pidge confessed, making Lance playfully slap her shoulder.

"And the nicknames? Seriously?" Hunk laughed a little.

"Well we don't really know his name, so what else would I call him? Plus, having a big family makes it a way of life to call a child that." Lance turned to face Keith. "Why were you practically strangling him anyway?"

Keith shrugged, "I don't know. It was like, a hug? But, angry?" Their faces were disgusted, so he tried explaining. "I mean, when the chamber opened I instinctively ran up to him and hugged him. I don't know why, but it felt right somehow."

Lance thought for a second and then agreed. "I think so too. The same thing happened when we first heard his voice. It sounded so scared and it made my heart burn like I just knew him for so long it was natural."

The others had some sort of idea on the matter. "Maybe since he's your child from a different universe, you are all still tied somehow," Allura said. "We need to know what he understands about this place. But first, we need his name to make it easier to approach him."

Keith's brain started shifting gears as he thought about something, concerning the paladins.

"Keith, what's wrong?" Shiro asked, snapping him back into reality.

"Oh. Uhm, well," he scratched the back of his neck, "I-I think I know what his name could be."

"And how so?" Lance crossed his arms and tilted his hip in denial. "We've only just met the kid, how are you gonna get a confirmation?"

Keith looked at Hunk and gave the plan.

"Okay, we won't be sure what his name is unless he tells us. If either Lance or I ask him, he'll be suspicious. Hunk, I'm gonna need you to do it."

Hunk put his hands up, "Uh, why me?"

"Because you're the easiest to talk to here. All you need to do is ask how he spells his name, and we'll get his name." Keith explained.

"You didn't even tell us what you thought his name was!" Pidge countered. Keith hesitated a bit before speaking. "Well uh, it's kind of stupid but-" he coughed into his arm and tried stalling, making the situation more awkward.

"I kinda, thought his name would be- Taylor."

He felt so stupid once he said it aloud. It was as if he imagined what their child would be like on a daily basis. And he did.

Everyone sorta laughed at it a bit, but Lance had the same gut feeling. "I- I think he's right. I don't know how but it's this weird, power? Like our minds are being updated by the second."

The castle went quieter, and they realized it was a lot quieter than their taste. There was another break in the sound barrier when there was a loud gasp, coming from a different area.

"The child."
==============================

Everyone had the same goal in their head, 'Find him and save him.' All that resonated within the walls were squeaks and footsteps. Oh god did he hurt himself? Did he get sucked into space? Did he choke and pass out? Did he-

Did he know how to communicate with animals?

Shiro was the first to find him, sitting on the floor of the bedroom hallway with the mice in his hands. "Haha, silly! That isn't the right sound!" The child chuckled, echoing through the castle. It alerted the others as they followed the sound. It'd take them a while to get there, so Shiro decided to talk to him.

"Oh, hi Uncle Kashi!" The boy beamed, holding out a hand that no longer held the creature. "Come to sit down! The ratones and I were just talking about the burp I did a few seconds ago." The mice continued to squeak in his ears, making him giggle that blessed sound.

"It wasn't gross! Oh, well at least I don't poop all over the tables!" The child bickered with the mice continuously like they were his best friends.

Shiro decided he should be the one to confirm it. "Hey, buddy. Your uncle's getting pretty old," he chuckled as he worked his way up, the child tilting his head, "but, how do you spell your name again? I'm working on a surprise but I can't seem to remember!" He tried sounding cheery and funny, which seemed to work out.

"Uncle Kashi, you're only 38, remember? But since you need to know, it's spelled T-A-Y-L-O-R." He drew the letters with his finger in front of their faces, exaggerating the syllables.

Shiro nodded. "Ohh, okay. Thanks, Taylor. You'll surprise will come on your very special day!" He teased, praying his birthday wasn't anywhere near today. The child gasped in awe.

"My very own 10th birthday present comes in 4 days?!" Taylor exclaimed, causing a dark terror in Shiro's heart to form.

His birthday was in 4 days. Today was June 28th. This child was set to be birthed exactly 10 years ago, on July 2nd? If this child is a Cancer baby, those two really do have the perfect child, Shiro laughed to himself in his head.

He thought that he could probably get a little bit more information out of him, but then the others came.