Warren Peace 2

I never understood the full effect of it until it happened to me. I sat in the cafeteria beside my friends on the first day of school, happily a sidekick after showing Boomer my ability to take on wolf like features, however not showing him the speed and strength that comes with it, not to mention the teeth and claws that rip through steel. I left it all out so that I could be with my friends.

Hundreds of years ago when the first supers were gifted their powers by the gods they were also gifted soul mates. The moment you met you would begin developing a mark that identifies you to each other, sort of like matching tattoos, something between you and your fated. To touch another's mark is to touch their soul, it's the worst thing you can think to do, and odds are is the last thing you'll do as their mate would kill you for it. I've never heard of someone not finding their mate as soon as they developed the mark, however legend has it that if you didn't find them, you would slowly deteriorate and eventually die...I was about to learn what that felt like. I began developing the marks at lunch, I noticed as they were on my wrists, tattoos like fire from my wrists to forearms and I quickly pulled on my hoodie, eager to hide it as it started.

My father was a horrible man, he was an abusive drunk who didn't believe in the existence of soul mates, said it was against god and he would rather die than have one, and I know he would rather me be dead too. I took great care in making sure that no one saw them for the remainder of the day until I got home and was able to cover them up with makeup.  I knew that by hiding my marks I was giving up my mate but I didn't know what else to do.  I laid in my bed that night, snuggled in my Batman footie pajamas, wrapped in my blanky with my paci between my lips just thinking about what my mate would have been like.

It went on like that for several days, I would cover my marks every day before I went to school, and every day when I got home to keep my father from finding out. I was already amazing with makeup since I needed to cover my bruises before school as well. I had not the least little idea who my mate was until 3 days later when Will tripped and spilled his food on Warren Peace. The guy was obviously gorgeous, but he looked like hell the last few days, and I think Will falling into him was the final straw. I didn't notice until we were close up to him, Warren on a table about to set us ablaze, the tattoos on his wrists were just visible under his leather jacket and in that moment I knew who he was and I hated myself a little more for making him as ill as he seemed to be...as ill as I was. I was very good at hiding it, but I was tired and barely able to think anymore as sleep continued to escape me every night. I gasped loudly when Will tossed him across the cafeteria after gaining his powers.  I was slightly ashamed to admit I spent the rest of the day dreaming about what kind of daddy Warren would be, and in every scenario he was perfect, making me hate myself that much more.

It was the next day that I began to truly break down, I was taking some papers to the office for Mr. Boy when I saw them, Warren and his mother speaking to the principal. "In all our years of Sky High this has never happened before, I don't understand how you haven't met her yet." Principal Powers said worriedly, inspecting Warren's marks without really touching them, I had to resist the urge to growl with just how close she was to them.

"Whoever she is, she doesn't want a villain as a mate, I understand. I just don't know what to do anymore, I feel like I'm dying." I felt my heart snap in that moment as his mother spoke with Principal Powers.

"Please, come to my office and we'll discuss this. Miss L/n!" I jumped as she screamed my name and I looked over abruptly. "Will you be so kind as to walk Mr. Peace to the nurse please?" I nodded, walking out the door and holding it open for him before walking down the hall way.

"Are you alright Warren?" I asked. Stupid question and he just grunted. I was forced to wrap my arm around his waist half way there as he staggered and almost fell. I made sure to keep my hands away from his marks, or he would know immediately who I was. "It's okay, I won't let you fall." The nurse pointed to a room as we walked in and I helped him to lay down.