32

We all left Madeline's house before her dad came home from work, the four of us ending our reminiscent conversation with awkward goodbyes

We all left Madeline's house before her dad came home from work, the four of us ending our reminiscent conversation with awkward goodbyes. It felt weird to think that all those crazy things had happened in such a short span of time. What was even crazier was the fact that the boy driving me home was officially my boyfriend, and despite the fact that he'd asked me just hours ago, my heart still managed to feel heavy thanks to the end of the competition.

"Maybe it's good we didn't win-- I bet a lot of people are gonna try to find out who The Five Capers are just so they can ask for a loan," Roy said, breaking the silence that had fallen over us since we got in the car. I laughed slightly, nodding in agreement.

"It feels weird," I admitted. "It was stressful and crazy, but I miss it already."

"Me too," he admitted, a small smile on his face.

I glanced out the window, unable to stop myself from wondering how things would be now. I liked being part of a group-- it felt like I belonged to something. And I liked Maddie and Ian-- they were the type of people I'd always imagined myself being friends with, but never found. Except now I had found them, and I had been friends with them, and I couldn't stop myself from worrying that the end of the competition meant the end of that, too.

My eyes shifted back to the boy next to me and more nerves somehow managed to find their way into my heart, even through all the affection. I liked Roy- I really liked him, and I knew that wasn't going to change. But the fact was, we didn't know what it was like to be together without the contest. Would things be different now that it was over? 

  ♧  

Rutherford was filled with people who were clearly feeling exactly like me-- the school was quiet on Monday, most students sulking about the end of the competition. The staff seemed to finally be at ease, not even minding the hushed conversations being held during class, whispers of memories and guesses as to who might have won the money.

After weeks of it being at the forefront of everyone's mind, it was hard to believe, even among all the talk confirming it, that the competition had really ended. The entire school seemed to be in a haze, including me. It was like a dream had ended and I was slowly waking up, coming back to reality. 

I coasted by until lunch, when I finally saw Roy. He was leaning against the wall outside of my fourth-period class, waiting for me. I smiled at him and walked over, surprised when he put his arm around my shoulders and kissed my cheek in the crowded hallway. My face reddened but he just grinned, asking me how my day had been so far as the two of us headed for the cafeteria.

"It's been okay-- I'm readjusting to life without the competition. It's kind of amusing to see the teachers looking so relieved."

"Tell me about it," Roy said, pulling open the door for me. "Mr. Johnson was able to get the class under control for the first time in weeks. He looked like it was the happiest moment of his whole life."