Just Me And You

Karan

Sundays are a little different at our house. I mean, they aren't like normal family Sundays at households much happier than ours. I wake up at around 10:00. I rub my eyes for a bit, turn to Sally's side and sure enough, it's empty.

Sally

Karan never lies to his parents. About anything. If you're wondering why I'm telling you this, it's because I have to get up early, even on Sundays and make my husband who's a baby, breakfast. If I didn't or couldn't, for some reason, he'll be okay. He wouldn't even say anything to me, but to Ma? Oh, he would simply tell her I didn't cook him anything and he had to “fend” for himself. Then the usual outbursts of Ma’s calls every minute for the rest of the day will commence: part of her trying, more like forcing me to spill out any problems or issues that I might be going through (which she thinks is the only reason I didn't get up on time. Not that I was tired too and wanted some more time in my cozy bed, nope. That is not even a possibility!) and part of her chiding about “dharm” and taking care of your husband. Yes, this is the story of my life!

Karan

I feel sorry for her sometimes. I mean, she too, should be able to sleep in on Sundays. While I get up and simply pick my clothes up from the sofa, the ones Sally has taken out for me, Sally's downstairs making breakfast. Sometimes I wonder how she even agreed to doing all this in the first place! Maybe, she's doing this for her parents too. Maybe she's just putting up with me until we finally split.

Sally

I look at my lock screen. It's 10:15. Karan will be here any minute. I wanted to make today a little different so I made some pancakes instead of the usual: scrambled eggs and some cereal with some super-desi tea, it's called chai in Hindi, by the way. A quick course of yesterday night’s events runs through my head. I smile. I still can't believe I kissed his forehead because I wanted to. I mean, how could I have wanted it?

Karan

I climb down the stairs as I observe her preparing the table.

“Good morning!” She stops when she sees me.

“Good morning.” I smile at her. She doesn't smile back, though.

“Hey, Sal?”

“Yes, Karan?” She's completely looking at me now.

“Umm, where's Friday's newspaper?”

“Why do you need Friday's newspaper for heaven's sake?” She laughs a little. I have no idea why she thinks this is funny, but I like seeing her smile so it's cool.

“I'll get it for you-”

“No, you just tell me where it is, I'll get it myself.”

“Okay. Well, you see that rack over there…”

She guides me to where it is. I remember seeing an advertisement for a vacancy in a hospital for a child specialist.

“Why the hell can't I go to work?” Were her words. Since I didn't have an answer, I decided I'll do what makes her happy. Because:

a) Sally and I are probably going to get divorced by the end of this month.

b) It's about time I did something for her too.

So now you know. I'm not gonna tell her now, not just yet. I'll call them, ask for details...wait. I don't know what time she's okay working at. Day? Night? The afternoon or the evening? Oh God! I will probably have to ask Ma, or Barbara, if Ma doesn't happen to know; which doesn't stand a chance, because Ma is literally a detective when it comes to finding me girls. I'll just call her after this.