Together

Karan

I'm on my way home. I got Sal’s text. I asked her what the doctor said, but she didn't reply. I guess I'll just have to wait until I get home.

Sally

I've been in the living room ever since I came back home. Katie wanted to stay with me, but I asked her to leave. I really needed some time alone. I still don't believe this is happening. Heck, I don't even know how to feel. I don't know what Karan will say.

Will he be happy? Or maybe upset? What if he doesn't want this baby? What will I do then? I know I'm not ready for this, but what if he isn't either? Having a baby is a big deal, I mean. I'm in the middle of whether or not to consider an abortion when I hear the door unlock.

“Hey.” He's flushed.

“Hi. How was your day?”

“What did the doctor say?” Wow, that was on point. Surely Katie didn't tell him, I did tell her to keep her mouth shut. Ahhh! Katie!

“I know she's told you. Hasn't she?”

“Who? And what are you talking about?”

Thank God.

“Karan, please come sit here. I wanna talk.”

“Yeah, I can see.”

Karan

I don't get what's going on. Is she trying to scare me on purpose? Or does she know I was worried, and now she's going to play along and worsen my situation? Nevertheless, I do as told. I sit down right across from her and loosen my tie as I do so. I plop my coat right beside me and pull up my pants a bit. Now that she's seen I've relaxed, she opens her mouth.

Sally

I don't know where to start from, so I close my opened mouth. I know he's looking at me with all his attention.

Karan, I'm pregnant.

No, no. I'll say: Karan I'm one month..no no no, Karan, you're going to be a dad, oh God! I'm going to jump right into it, yes that's right!

“Karan you're going to be a dad.” I spill before I can stop myself.

I look at his face. Trust me, I have never seen him so scared before.

“I'm sorry?” Ah, his lost voice at last. But at least he said something.

“Yeah, well. Even I don't want this baby, because I mean, I get it, okay? I know we're both not ready at all and-”

“No, wait! Let me just...did you...Sal! You're pregnant?”

Excuse me? Doesn't he understand simple English!

“Oh my God! That's what Ma-”

“Wait, how does she know?”

“Because, she is Ma!” He exclaims with a big smile. I'm not sure if he's happy or just relieved that his mother was right, like always.

“And why on Earth would you not want this baby?”

“Because-” I stop. I just realized I have no reasons, maybe I was just scared that he would reject the baby and me and then- I just... I don't know.

Karan

Our baby! My baby! She should be happy about this, why isn't she? I take another look at her, tears have started forming in her eyes and she is looking at the floor instead of me.

“Hey!” I walk up to her and sit down.

“Sal, you should be so happy.”

“Really?” She wipes her tears, but her eyes are brimming with more still.

“You crazy woman!” I almost laugh.

She looks at me with huge eyes.

“Sally, come on! You should feel lucky.”

“I'm not ready.” She whispers meekly. If I wasn't sitting so close to her, I might've not heard her at all!

“Well, who is? But let me tell you this, there's a first time for everything, Sal. And I promise you, I am going to be the best father in the world.” I squeeze her hand as I say this.

She finally looks into my eyes and I kiss her forehead.

“We are going to be fine. As long as we're together, everything's gonna be okay.”

She finally smiles as she pulls me closer for a kiss.

Sally

I still find it hard to believe that he said that.

I promise you, I'll be the best father in the world.

We're having a baby! That was fast. I mean, just three months ago, I hated the sight of him, and now...well, now we're having a child.

Karan

I have no idea why my life's moving in such a fast forward mode, but I do know it's for the better. I'll admit, I'm actually excited. To think who the baby will look like. Me or her?

We started with the phone calls almost right after that. I called Ma and gave her the good news, she said:

“Didn't I tell you, you will find out?”

“Yes, you did.” I smiled. Then, I talked to Papa for some time. That's when Sal walked up to me and said:

“My mom wants to talk to you.”

“Well, you talk to Papa in the meantime. Okay?” I hand her my phone and she takes it smiling.

“Namaste, Papaji.” She greeted him like that and sent me laughing again.

“You have to ask Karan to stop making fun of my Hindi, Papa. I am learning.”

Sally

Now we're both sitting on the couch thinking about inviting Katie over for dinner and ordering Pizza. My head is on his chest and he's stroking it.

“You call Katie, I'll think about flavors to order.”

“Okay.” I get up and unlock my phone. Katie picks up immediately.

“Hey. How did he take it? Is he happy? What did he say?”

“Katie, everything is fine. Relax. He's…”

“What?”

“...happy. He seemed super excited, Katie. He promised me he'll be the best dad ever.”

“Awwww, really?”

“Yes.”

“Ummm, Katie? Karan and I were ordering Pizza, so-”

“So, I'm coming over. That's final. Thanks for telling me, by the way.”

I smile as Katie cuts the call.

Karan

“What did she say? Did you invite her?”

“She invited herself, actually.” She responds as she makes herself room beside me. I put my arm around her, then say:

“Ma just texted. My parents are coming over tomorrow. Is that okay?”

“Does this mean I'll have to take an off from the hospital?”

“They'll be having lunch with us, so yeah. But if you want to go, we'll-”

“Nope. It's fine. Really, it's okay.”

“Sure?”

“Very.” She smiles.

***********************
Here you go!

Happy Reading :)