Memories of a Past Life

A hoard of walking corpses ran forward chasing two figures engulfed in a moonless night. One dressed like the dark crevices of a deep ravine and the other resembling that of the moon in the morning clouds. 

A shrill flute melody is heard, piercing and yet commanding with a flash of a pale blue clashing through the middle of the hoards; taking down seven in one hit.

Lan WangJi slices his sword forward with one hand and with his other, the sound of his guqin is heard dueting with the ominous harmony of Wei WuXian's flute, Chenqing.

Wei WuXian plays flawlessly and lets Lan WangJi strike down at them. Their rotten flesh gashing open and the bones exposing broader with each strike before falling down to the ground; motionless.

A scream echoes through the trees and the two look at each other. Without even speaking, they look back to the direction of where the scream came from and was already leaving their shadows behind them in a hurry.

Lan WangJi suddenly stopped, sheathed his sword and wrapped his arm around Wei WuXian's waist, pulling them both behind the trunk of a wide tree.

"Wait." He said.

"Lan Zhan, what--" he was cut off mid-sentence when he heard the harsh teeth grinding groans coming from in front of them. He turned to look and silenced himself.

---------------------------

"Get away from me, what the hell are these?! Are these really walking corpses?!" A young voice yelled out to the boy next to him. The golden yellow of his clothes clashes as arrogance and youthfulness. Beside him was another boy, with the cloud motifs hanging off his robes and the forehead band drifting behind him elegantly. He was a boy around the same height but more mature and resolved and contrasted the likeliness of the other.

"Jin Ling! Watch out!" SiZhui tucks in front of Jin Ling who wasn't paying attention and cuts through the decaying tissue of a corpse's neck. Before its head could hit the floor though, an arrow struck through two corpses coming from the left with a piercing yellow glow.

"You don't need to protect me!" Jin Ling stumbled out, watching the flawlessness of SiZhui's movements gliding in front of him. SiZhui glances at him and with a gentle smile, he nods in understanding that Jin Ling was hiding his thanks in embarrassment.

Jin Ling watched SiZhui's back and switched over to his sword. They both had different styles of swordsmanship, but they worked in such harmony it could best Lan WangJi and Wei WuXian themselves. Perhaps not to their calibre, but the chemistry instead. It was hard to believe that these two were not partners themselves, but the bestest of friends.

---------------------------

Wei WuXian stared wide-eyed and then looked back to Lan Zhan. "Why is Jin Ling and Sizhui here?" He questioned in a hushed voice. 

He loosened his grip on Wei Ying and they silently agreed then. Letting Sizhui and Jin Ling deal with this themselves would be utterly too dangerous. Especially, with the unhealthy amount of strange walking corpses tonight.

"Lan Zhan, let's go." Wei WuXian held his flute in his hands and brought it up to his lips.

"Mmn." Is all that could be heard from him. He strummed chords to match the striking vibrato of Wei Ying's flute and prepared for the worst.

They darted out from behind the trees and watched as the corpses stopped in their tracks. They seemed dazed for a quick second before quickly shooting their hands up to their ears, hoping that it would drown out the deathly composition of the two new opponents. They ultimately failed to block out the harmonious tune and fell hard onto their knees. All of the corpses bodies seemed to quiver heavily before each jo joint locked up. Starting from the base of the feet, rising to their knees, up their torso, and locking the rest in place. Their lifeless bodies stared up towards the sky and died in that position, hands stiffly clentching onto their chests and a mournful black tear, dripping from their eyes. However, this was just a handful of the horde of corpses.