Pilot

A/N: Finally! I've been meaning to publish a Peryl fic for a long time so I'm thrilled to put out a taster chapter to see what kind of buzz it gets. Some facts are WRONG in this, but it enables my fic to work better, so I can only apologise if this offends/irritates anybody. I really, really hope you enjoy this and any feedback is appreciated. Thank you! X

October 1979.
Meryl was living off the buzz from 'Kramer vs Kramer' and all was running smoothly in her life. Something, however, just wasn't right. She didn't know what, or whether it would continue, but she was unhappy about something. "Maybe it's that time of the month" She thought to herself, trying to disguise her true feelings. Don had been distant recently, she didn't know why, had she done something wrong? Was the success of her as an actress proving difficult for their relationship?
Pierce got the call that he was due to be the new 'James Bond' in the franchise which left him elated. He was a single, happy man, unaware to what would be his most iconic role and one of his most successful roles as an actor. 'Kramer vs Kramer' was the first movie he'd seen starring Meryl. He was in awe of her talent; a true inspiration to him. "It's just the icing on the cake that she's drop dead gorgeous as well" He thought.
As Meryl wandered around her kitchen, her heart weighing heavily for some unbeknownst reason, her phone rang beside her, "Hello?" she began, "Meryl, It's Jenny. Have you got a minute?" The woman responded. She sat down on the sofa and fiddled with her necklace, awaiting the news from Jenny, "Firstly, I wanted to congratulate you on KvK. I knew from the beginning you were perfect for the role, I hope you've been celebrating?" Meryl smiled, "Something like that.. Thank you Jenny, but I take it you didn't call to congratulate?"
"Quite right. They're putting together a new film. The title hasn't been decided yet but it's a Romance." Meryl leant her head back and sighed, not really paying attention to what was being said on the other line, "They want you as the lead role but they're still up in the air about who the lead male will be." There was a long pause, "Meryl?" Jenny awkwardly asked, "Sorry, I am listening, I'm just not my usual self recently," she sighed, "so, another romance? Who's the lucky guy this time round?"
"As I said before, the lead hasn't been announced yet, but from what I'm aware, Pierce Brosnan is a strong contender," Meryl immediately rose as her eyes widened and heart beated faster. The name sounded familiar and caused a lump in her throat, "have you heard he's the new James Bond? And single?" Jenny laughed.
That was it. James Bond. When she heard the news around a week ago she investigated, "You have to be good looking and incredibly talented to be James Bond; the sex appeal, the dangerous behaviour..." Meryl remembered her saying.
She liked his appearance. She didn't read too much into it because she was married, maybe not particularly happily married, but she knew she could never do that to Don. Deep down she regretted not looking into him more, but allowed reality to play its piece.
"I'll call you back, Meryl." Jenny snapped, awakening Meryl from recalling Pierce, "Oh my God, I'm so sorry. I was just in my own little world for a minute." she sighed deeply and scanned the room to see if Don was nearby. Biting her lip, she replied, "Do me a favour Jenny, I'd like to meet him. Pierce, is it?" Meryl played, "Not publicly, though."
"He hasn't got the part yet, Meryl. In fact, I don't think he's even been asked yet. But I can arrange something with his PA if you'd like?"
She smiled widely. This was the first time she felt excitement in a long while. Don wasn't giving her much attention and thought a get together with a potential co-star would lift her.
"Thank you. Get back to me ASAP when he replies." she ran her hands through her hair, "Oh and Jenny? What you said about Kramer, I appreciate it, thank you."
As the call ended, Meryl took a deep sigh and all her problems were placed on pause. She liked the distraction and she liked the excitement despite not having even met him. Yet. Pierce had made her happy and she couldn't wait to tell him in person.
——————————————————————————
"Meryl Streep? Wants to meet with me?" Pierce replied in a shocked manner down the line to his PA, "Fuck. Have I done something wrong?"
"From what I've been told, she was rather eager and is very looking forward to it" Pierce chuckled softly to himself, "Isn't she married? What does she want with me?" he queried, "Find out for yourself; she'll be round yours Saturday night."
Pierce coughed as he choked on his water, "Saturday night?! At MINE?!"
He was ecstatic inside. The woman he was having an erupting crush on wanted to meet him. He knew he couldn't make his affection clear to his PA, so attempted to play it off with his career, "Does she want to take the Bond title from me?! What are the press gonna say when they see a married actress at my place?"
The call continued until Pierce agreed to meet at his own home. As surprised as the pair were at the controversial location, they knew it made sense. Anywhere else and the press would've followed them round. The privacy would've been restricted and this way could have been operated professionally, allowing them not to be worried about what might be leaked onto the newspapers the next morning.
"So," Pierce sighed, "Meryl Streep eh? Do you think I can make a move?" he joked, knowing he could never do that to a married woman, "But all joking aside, I'm actually looking forward to meeting her, she's played a big part of my life recently."
——————————————————————————