Chapter Nineteen: Boze

"What happened?" Boze asked as she rushed into the infirmary, pulling on her jacket.

Boze had woken up to a notification on her phone, simply reading Atomic is hurt. She'd barely given herself enough time to get dressed before rushing to the infirmary, her heart pounding, hating how vague the message was. Was she seriously hurt or barely injured? There was no way for her to tell without seeing Atomic for herself.

"We don't know," Medic replied. "Raven found her on the floor of the bathroom this morning, clutching her hand. From the looks of it, she punched the mirror, though we don't know why."

The infirmary was probably the most touched-up room in the Compound. The walls had been painted white, and cabinets had been installed for holding medicine and medical equipment. A table surrounded by chairs sat in the middle of the room, with laptops strewn on its surface. Labcoats hung on hooks on the wall, though they weren't needed anymore; Mercy and Transfusion had been killed by Blade. Medic was the only one left.

Separating the room into two was a large wall made of one-way glass. Opposite the side Boze was standing was the patient area, with a hospital bed lying under a heavy light. Sitting on that bed was Atomic, her right hand wrapped in blood-soaked gauze that she kept picking at. Boze's breath hitched at the sight of her.

"Is it safe to see her?" she asked.

Medic tucked a strand of her brown hair behind her ear. "She hasn't been displaying any violent tendencies, so I don't see a reason why not."

Boze grabbed a set of keys off the table and ran to the door, opening it quickly. Atomic looked up as she came in and sat next to her on the bed.

"Hey, are you okay?" Boze asked worriedly. Self-harm wasn't a good sign. She wanted Atomic dead, sure, but not if it killed Mari too.

"Yeah," Atomic sighed. "Just... tired."

"Why'd you do this?" she grabbed Atomic's wrist and examined her wound. The gauze was wrapped securely around her knuckles, but not so much that she couldn't move her fingers. Her skin was peppered with small bleeding scabs, no doubt from Medic pulling out small shards of glass that had embedded themselves in her skin.

"I got angry," Atomic replied. "At my reflection. So I punched it."

"What was wrong with your reflection?" Boze asked.

In response, Atomic pulled back her hair, giving Boze a good look at the burn marks on the side of her forehead. "I can't remember how I got these. I keep trying to, but I can't."

Boze reached out and stroked her skin. She couldn't tell her the truth, of course; she'd never accept it. At least, not yet.

"Do you know who did this to me?" she asked, sounding desperate.

"No," Boze lied. "I'm sorry, I don't."

Mari let her hair fall back into place with a sigh. "I feel like it has something to do with my memory loss."

"Memory loss?" Boze prodded. That was a good sign. If Atomic was doubting her history, then she could take advantage of that. "What do you mean?"

"There are gaps in my memory," Atomic explained. "Big ones. Important dates that I can't remember. I didn't even remember my best friend until recently, and aspects of my relationship with Silver... they're missing. A lot is missing, and I don't know how to get it back. That's why I punched the mirror. I'm confused, and that makes me angry."

Boze smiled and patted her back. The way Atomic had just spoken was unlike her. Was Mari already starting to slip back in? She sure hoped so. "I'm sure that they'll come back."

"I'm not," Atomic replied. "I don't think they ever will."

"Only time will tell," Boze stood up. "Tell Wrath that I give you permission to sit out of training today. Medic will give you some painkillers."

"Okay," Atomic sighed, pulling her hair over her left shoulder with her good hand. "Thank you."