Chapter Thirty: Boze

Mari was back.

Boze still hadn't wrapped her mind around that fact. The thought seemed out of place in her brain. After all this time, all this effort to get her back, actually having her seemed... off.

Maybe it was the fact that she'd given up that was really throwing her off. She'd walked into that room defeated, to say goodbye, fully intending on having to kill Atomic afterwards, no matter how much it would've hurt her to do so. It had taken her a good ten minutes to gather the strength to even go inside.

But it had worked. Finally, it had worked. Mari was back. And she wanted to leave.

That thought made Boze feel... strangely hurt. She should've expected it, really. Of course Mari would want to leave. The only thing that had been keeping her here was a desire to avenge Silver, and that had been Atomic's goal. Atomic was dead, and Mari hated her. It shouldn't have been as much of a shock to Boze as it was.

Yet it was. Boze had been half expecting her to be grateful to her for freeing her from Atomic, but she'd been wrong. Mainly, though, she'd been expecting Mari to miss Boze as much as Boze had missed her. Which was also stupid.

Now that Boze thought about it, she hadn't put any thought into what she'd actually do once she got Mari back. All those nights hunched over her laptop, thinking up ways to try and shock Mari from Atomic's subconscious and back into the controls, she'd only ever put any brainpower in how she'd do it, not what she'd do with the end result. Boze had just walked into unmapped territory. A dangerous one.

Mari was a wildcard. She wasn't as predictable as Atomic was. She could lie and act and scheme against her. All signs were pointing towards her wanting to escape, and Boze was sure that she'd try. She'd have to be careful around her.

Back when she'd first gotten Atomic, which felt like ages ago, she'd promised Pamick that she wasn't Wes. That she wouldn't make his mistakes. Trusting Mari was his biggest one; she wasn't about to follow in his footsteps.

Despite the fact that Mari was all she could think about, she tried to push her to the back of her mind. She had a meeting to get to. One she couldn't afford to mess up.

Quickly, she rushed into her office and got changed into a standard girls' uniform. She'd agreed on no weapons, but everyone in her world was a filthy liar, including her, so she shoved a knife into her boot, careful to make sure that she didn't cut herself, and headed out the door.

Chaos was waiting for her. Together, the two women headed down to the main floor, where Wrath and Psycho were waiting. Boze trusted Poison and Antidote, at least more than she trusted anyone else, but she wasn't about to go anywhere without some form of backup; especially when all she had to defend herself with was a knife.

The four of them made their way into the parking lot. Boze had let Chaos pick any car she wanted from her wide selection, and she'd picked a sleek silver Lamborghini that one of her girls had brought with her when she joined the gang. The licence plate had been torn off, replaced with a fake, untraceable one.

As they got in, Chaos ran her fingers along the hood of the car, smiling like a mother smiles at her child. Every woman in transportation had their favourite vehicle, one they specialized in and preferred, and there was nothing Chaos loved more than cars. She'd once built a fully-functioning car out of scrap metal.

Luckily, the windows were tinted, so no one would recognize any of them. While all three of the other women had been erased from every database, and Boze's Techs were working hard to make sure that no other data uploaded about them was ever stored, Boze had an easily recognizable face. Mari's case was sensationalized, and Boze was a main character. She was almost like a celebrity, except her paparazzi had guns and handcuffs.