Prologue

A sigh left Valerie's soft pink lips as she pulled her smoking car into the parking lot just down the street of her 1 bedroom apartment, annoyed at the inconvenience. She parked the old '69 impala and stepped out, taking her keys with her. Her black stilettos clacked against the concrete ground as she made her way to the small structure that held the angels meant to fix her beloved car. Normally, Valerie wouldn't wear an outfit as costly as the stilettos and her Gucci jumpsuit but her big sisters birthday was 2 days prior, the party being a few hours ago but she had to get back home and having just gotten back from her fathers mansion meant dressing to impress. As she entered the small establishment, her blue eyes wandered around to glance at the small lobby. Power tools could be heard in from behind the door when she walked in and walked over towards the counter, ringing the bell. She waited patiently for someone to come out and assist her, her feet aching from standing in the high heels so long. After a few minutes of waiting, a tall dark haired man walked through the door and over to the counter. "Hi, what can I do for you?" His husky voice made her knees weak as she gulped down the lump growing in her throat.
"Um- my car is having a bit of trouble. It's smoking and sputtering." She sheepishly admitted as she shuffled her feet. The man sighed from behind the desk and gestured towards the door, signaling for her to lead the way. She hurriedly stalked towards the door, her arms wrapping around herself as she self consciously tried to cover up her pricey outfit. She could see the judgement in people's eyes as she walked by. When they got to her car the man let out a low whistle, "Damn, 1969 Impala... this is a nice car." He said as he walked around it, checking out the frame and paint. Valerie laughed softly at the astonished look on his face. "I got it when I moved out, a final parting gift from my dad. Only thing I took with me from him." She smiled. The man glanced over at her and smiled softly before he pointed to the hood. "May I?" He asked. Valerie nodded and rushed to the drivers side door and popped the hood to let him look at it. Smoke burst out in a giant puff as he opened it and he jumped back to avoid the hot mist. "Holy shit." He muttered. "I'll take a look at it inside but you gotta sign a few papers first he said as the smoke cleared until just a little bit of steam came off of the engine. "All right, about how long is that gonna take?" She asked with a sigh. "Well, I gotta look at your engine and see what's wrong before I can estimate that and that could take up to an hour. She sighed again as she walked to the lobby with the man, Derek, according to his shirt. After signing some papers and handing over her keys to her beloved car she adored. Before he could take the car back she grabbed her bag with her extra clothes in it that she took back to the rest rooms where she changed out of the uncomfortable outfit her sister had picked out and into her own clothing.

     After finishing tying her old, beat up converse onto her small feet she walked out of the small stall, still stuffing her ridiculous outfit into her bag

     After finishing tying her old, beat up converse onto her small feet she walked out of the small stall, still stuffing her ridiculous outfit into her bag. As she walked out, pulling her hair into a messy bun, the guy -Derek-was at the counter filling out paperwork. As she walked over to him, he glanced up and did a double take when he saw her out of the tight clothing and in her loose camo t-shirt, jean short shorts, and her beat up converse. Her hair pulled up messily and face make up free. She was looking down at her phone as she walked over, replying to a text from the manager of her cafe about a block away from the auto repair shop Gulf she was at. When she reached the counter she swung the duffle bag over her shoulder and stuffed her phone in her back pocket. She smiled at the awe struck man and spoke, "so, what's the damage?" He shook his head   and looked back down at the papers before listing off the problems and the prices that added up to be around $2,500 causing a frustrated groan to leave her lips. "Shit." She cursed. "All right, and when should it be done?" She asked slightly annoyed. "Um, probably in a day or two," He said, looking over the list of things needed before looking at the girl again as she grabbed her phone again as it rang. "God, that's the manager at my store, probably wondering where I am. Alright, can I just leave my phone number and you can call me when it's done?" She asked as she ignored the call. He chuckled as he grabbed a post it note before talking again, " or you could give me your number and I could call you tonight and we could maybe go out some time," He smirked. She lightened up a little at this and giggled as she nodded and quickly scribbled down her number with her name before she walked towards the door backwards, her over the shoulder purse and duffle bag the only thing in she had as she opened the door with her butt and turned to walk out after sending Derek one last smile as he returned it.
     After that the two continued to talk and meet up for a few months before they went on their first date. After dating for a few months they moved in together in her small apartment. It was after 2 years of dating that they got their first surprise.

 It was after 2 years of dating that they got their first surprise

***Valeries POV***
Oh my god.....
Oh my god.....
All I could think as I nervously paced the bathroom floor was what if he runs. What if we're not ready. I couldn't help but compare my self to my mother and how she took off and left her kids. I was determined to be a better mother. My free hand subconsciously reached for my stomach as I stared at the little stick in my hand that read positive. I could hear the front door open and heard the voice I loved so much call out to me. "Val, baby you home?" He called, I could hear his footsteps coming closer to the bathroom as my breathing got heavier the closer he got, my panic rising. When he reached the bathroom I had my back turned to him and my eyes were clenched shut, my hand gripping tightly to the test stick. "Babe?" He asked hesitantly, his hand on my shoulder lightly. I slowly turned around, the test visible to his eyes as I hung my head in shame.
Derek didn't speak for a minute which didn't help my anxiety but when he did it wasn't what I expected. "You're pregnant??" He asked, sounding winded. I nodded slowly as I glance up at him through my eyelashes and hair. His lips turned upwards slowly as he processed this, easing my nerves. Soon there was a full blown grin appeared on his face and his big rough hands gripped my waist and picked me up into the air, his lips slamming onto mine, sparks running through my body as his hands gripped at the white dress I wore, my braided hair swung around my head and hung by the side of my face. My lips spread into a smile as I giggled softly while he spun me around still in the air. We spent the rest of the night kissing and cuddling and just being happy.