Six

{Cesar's POV}

After school, I'm sitting on the porch with Cesar. I'm still kind of shaken up about our conversation from this morning-about me joining the gang-but luckily, he doesn't revisit the topic.

"So how was school, foo?" He asks, flicking his lighter a few times before sparking the blunt in between his fingers, taking in a long drawl.

"It was pretty good, actually! I'm taking a few honors classes this year and I may try out for soccer," I smile, happy to have had a decent first day. TV and movies always made high school seem like prison. So far I was enjoying it.

He doesn't say much, just nods as he takes another hit of the joint, a cloud of smoke forming around him on the porch. I cough.

"Meet any bad bitches yet?" He suddenly asks with a smug look.

I frown. My brother had always been known to be quite the player, but I didn't want to be like that.

"Uh, no not really. I mean, there's this one girl, but-she's..she's not a bitch."

I feel my cheeks heat up as my mind flashes to Monse. She was just so beautiful; I still wondered why she acts so harsh.

"Ooooh, little bro's got a crush!" He howls with laughter, punching me in the arm.

He's a bit heavy handed.

Trying to hide a wince, I just laugh it off, shrugging. "Not a crush, Oscar. It's only the first day of school."

He shrugs. "And what about it, mijo? By my first week of high school I'd already fucked two of the baddest hoes in school-and guess what, they were twiiinnsss," he looks so satisfied with himself as he goes in for another puff of weed. I roll my eyes, wondering if he'll remember any of this once he's sober.

"I'm not like that, Oscar, you know it," I sit back, looking out at the street.

He laughs. "Duh, foo. You always been the smarter one. Plus, I know you still a virgin."

I want to melt into the porch steps and disappear. I don't know if it's natural for dudes to feel embarrassed, but I definitely do right now. "Am not!"

Rolling his eyes, he puts the blunt out, smushing the small remains into the ashtray next to us. "Yeah, right. You haven't been in any pussy since the day you came out one."

This silences me. I hate my brother sometimes.

It's slightly awkward for a moment, until he speaks up again, placing a hand on my shoulder. "C'mon, baby bro-you know I ain't mean it like that. Look here, you just take your time when it comes to the whole sex thing, seriously. Cooch is great-one of God's greatest gifts to man, but it'll be around forever. Just focus on the more important stuff right now."

I stay silent for a moment, then I just laugh. "Seriously, Oscar, a sex pep talk? This is so weird."

Both of us begin laughing, and it's like old times. I hadn't seen my brother as much as I used to due to him being head honcho of the Santos and usually having 'business' to handle, but this felt nice.

"..So, go on and tell me about this girl you seem to be so tripped up about," he inquires.

I grin-I just can't help it, and I begin to wonder if maybe it could be possible to have a crush after only a day?

No, that's stupid. And not realistic at all.

"Well, her name is Monse-and she's new around because I've never seen her before. She's in the same grade as me, and luckily, we've got a couple of classes together." I smile, excited for the possibility of seeing her more and more.