Chapter 11 ∞ Melancholy

The talk of dimensions, the three fates, and the Deliverers had given me much I needed to know about this world. I realized that, no matter how old my soul and consciousness, I was still a child. In this world that I didn't know about, my previous life might not be of much use. What was the use of having memories, having this much level of awareness, if not to suffer and pine after the life I now didn't have?

I sat under the tree Veronika left me under. It was close to a few hours ever since and the sun had dimmed from the sky. I hadn't heard my name called once save for the curious eyes occasionally peeking from the nearby window. I noticed my mistresses were worried.

I assumed they were doing this to teach me something.

Sitting in silence by myself—what was that supposed to do? Would that help me connect with the three different dimensions? Was I supposed to be chanting something here?

This wasn't so bad. Once in a while, I still had the odd craving of bringing out a phone to scroll through Facebook—but they didn't have that here, did they? I got over that after some time, but I couldn't help but wish I had that kind of connectivity like back in my old world sometimes.

When night finally came, my mother Hellenia crossed the bridge from the other side of the pond and knelt before me.

"Evy," she began, "are you hungry yet, darling?"

I nodded.

"Come on." She beckoned. "Service hours will begin soon. We'll resume this tomorrow, alright?"

"What about Mistress Veronika?" I asked. "Won't she scold me?"

"Of course not. You did nothing wrong." My adoptive mother patted my head. "How can anyone be angry with you, Evy?"

"I hope I didn't disappoint anyone," I said.

"It's okay. Don't worry about anything. Now, come on."

She lifted me to my feet and guided me back to the House. Mistress Veronika was waiting for me by the porch, hands crossed and face blank. I dreaded coming up to her with the look she had on her face and, for a moment, I thought she would be giving me a dissatisfied stare—she had that effect on people, I guess. Or maybe it was because of her resting bitch face?

"I'm sorry, mistress," I told Veronika. "I don't think I got what you were making me do."

"It's alright," she said, kneeling before me and patting my head. "The weeping willow is a special place. Perhaps you'll find out next time."

A special place?

As I tried figuring out what she meant, I was taken to the dining room to eat ahead of everyone.

I was fed a plate of roast chicken and fried potatoes before I was escorted back to my room. Service hours would begin very soon. The residential part of the Oblivion was locked, as usual, and the mistresses all headed to the entertainment hall which sat a good distance away. I was left in the care of the blind Safia, a middle-aged woman who came in when needed to help watch over me—which was a little ironic. Yet, despite her disability, the woman was as sensitive as they come.

I watched through the window as the fairy lights came to life and the garden became illuminated with the promise of an eventful night. Faint music reverberated within the living walls and my caretaker reached forward to close the windows.

"Come, Evyionne," she told me, reaching for the knobs of the windows. It took her a second to find them but pulled them close swiftly and gracefully. "While your mistresses are working, you must stay inside. That isn't the world you should be in at the moment, child," she told me. "They will show you in due time. Now let us go to your room. Would you mind helping guide this woman?" She tapped on the floor with her cane and smiled at the space ahead of her, even though I knew it was for me. "I'm sure you have a lot of questions for me tonight."