Chapter 5

~Edited

Julian awoke to a slight whimpering sound. His head was resting on the pillow, but the rest of his body was sprawled on the floor. It was a very awkward position to fall asleep in, and painful as well. Pain shot up his back as he straightened up and rubbed his eyes. There it was again, that very low whimpering sound.

Looking around the room, the first thing that registered was that his mate was missing. Panic started to set in when he started to think of all the things that could have happened to him in his current state. Where could he be? He thrust his fingers through his hair in frustration, when the sound of another whimper made it to his ears.

When he turned around, relief washed over him. His mate was sat in the darkest corner of the room, with the curtains covering most of him. His knees drawn up to his chin and his arms wrapped around them. His eyes kept darting around the room then back to Julian.

Julian could tell that he was absolutely petrified of him, and that kind of hurt, but he got over it quickly. He moved the metal pole that Mandy had used to hook him up aside and got down on his hands and knees, trying to make himself smaller than his scared mate. Slowly he made his way over to him, but the closer he got the further into the curtains, his mate retreated. So he stopped about a meter from him.

"Shh, it's okay. I'm not going to hurt you," he cooed at him like he would a scared animal. With his arms outstretched and himself small, he tried to show him that he meant what he said. He could see his mate calm down but he still didn't come out from behind the curtains, so he tried a different approach.

"My name is Julian, what's your name?" he still kept his hands in front of him and his body close to the ground. He made sure to smile so that he doesn't come off too scary. His mate just stared at him as if he had grown two heads.

Julian was completely struck by his mate's eyes. They were the lightest blue that Julian had ever seen, and they made his breath hitch. They had flecks of white and dark blue in them, aside from that, they were such a light blue, you might even think it was white.

"So pretty...," he said without thinking and all the progress he made shattered. His mate hid face behind the curtain and retreated even more into himself. Julian sighed in defeat and reminded himself that he couldn't give up.

He crawled over to him and gently removed the curtain from his face. He pushed it aside and took a seat beside his mate. He kept quite because he had the faintest idea that whatever he said would make him nervous and he would draw further away from him. That thought alone was enough to scare Julian. So he kept quiet and studied him some more.

His face was burrowed into his arms but you could still make out some of his features. Thanks to the remedy that Mandy had given him to help accelerate his healing, most of scars have started to fade away, even the ones that had healed over.

His skin was like marble. Smooth, pretty and it made Julian want to touch him. Now that he was awake, he was still pale, but there was a slightly pink hue to him now, which meant that at least his system was circulating. This close to him, he could smell his scent. The scent of roses washed over him and he closed his eyes. The sun was already high in the sky before any of them even shuffled.

"N...No...Noah," his mate whispered. At first Julian though that he was hearing things. When he looked down at his mate, his ears were as read as a tomato and his heart beat was erratic.

"Noah? Is that your name?" Julian asked, unable to remove the sound of pure joy in his voice. His meek little mate nodded, with his head still burrowed into his hands.

"Hi Noah, I'm Julian" he smiled. Slowly, he raised his head from his arms but still kept them wrapped around his knees.

"J...Ju...Julian," his voice washed over Julian and he smiled at him. His voice sounded like bells. Lilith and sweet.

"Julian," he repeated in affirmation . He saw the sides of Noah's lips tug up, but he hid it quickly, burrowing back into his arms. But not before Julian saw the radiant pink that washed over his face.

His mate was adorable.