4 - Agonizing

In the end our happy occasion turned into a sad and anguish filled one. Eventually everyone left for their homes promising to be on the look out for anyone remotely resembling Kit. My parents tried to get me to stay over at their house, but I couldn't. I need to be out there, searching for Kit. What if he was stuck somewhere calling me for help...but where?

They may be our friends but they still had their own lives and I wasn't expecting them to give up their lives for me. I may have to do this on my own. I said that and P'Pha nearly punched me.

"Beam and I have known Kit longer than you. Don't think you're the only suffering due to this unexplained situation." P'Pha had stated angrily instead. His anger reflected on P'Beams face also.

"The city is too big for us to search it by ourselves, so let's contact some radio stations and television stations, get an announcement out there. Ming, send me the most recent picture you have of Kit. I need you to go back home and check that Kit isn't there." P'Pha took command making quick decisions while I stood there feeling lost and dejected. "Yo, stay with Ming so he doesn't do anything stupid." P'Pha added before taking my phone from my shaky hands to send the picture of Kit to himself.

"Do you think it'll help if we report his car as stolen?" P'Forth added.

"That could also work but he may get arrested. That is better than nothing though." P'Pha contemplated loudly.

"Instead of doing that why don't we just include in the missing person advert that he may be driving his car?" P'Beam tried to help.

"But if we do that won't people think he's not missing?" P'Forth tried to reason with P'Beam.

"We can just say the missing person was last seen driving a silver Toyota Camry and include his license plate number." P'Beam argued. Everyone seemed a little tense and everyone wanted to help. I wanted to help too but my mind was blank. I should be the one thinking of ways to save Kit, but here I am, unable to think, let alone act. As my friends divided the tasks among themselves I looked on.

"What do I do?" I asked in a weak voice.

"I told you already. Go home and check if Kit went back there. Check his parents house too."

I nodded before making my way listlessly to my car. Yo came along like he was told to. I could tell that my friends would rather I didn't drive with the state of mind I was in but I know that they could also see the determination in my gaze, the determination to not be left out in the search for my Kit. If possible I would love to be the one who finds him but this is not a competition and I'll get nowhere if I do this on my own. I was grateful for their help, but I couldn't express it at that time.

I drove over to Kit's parents house. When Kit's family met me anxiously at the gate and inquired if I'd heard anything, I had to cause them pain by saying no. I watched in agony as his mum wept in distress. I pulled her into a hug, trying to console her but she was inconsolable. I felt the sobs wrack her body and she appeared frailer than I know her to be.

"Find him. Bring my son back to me." She implored tearfully. "I know some people were thinking he run away but that is ridiculous. Kit loves you too much to do something like that. He was really happy about marrying you. Ming, bring him back."

"I will." I promised solemnly, trying to hold my own tears back. When Kit's dad stepped forward to pull his wife into his arms, I let her go before explaining the measures Kit's friends and I had taken. I reminded them that we included their phone numbers for people to contact them if they see Kit so they should be on the lookout for when a strange number calls them.

Yo and I then drove to my now empty apartment. Kit wasn't there, so we went to the house Kit had picked for us to live in after our marriage. I looked everywhere, but Kit was nowhere. Every few minutes I'd call his phone even though I knew it'll go straight to voicemail.