PROLOGUE

T H E  B O Y  &   T H E  S E R P A N TJUGHEAD & ROSARIO❝If music be the food of love, play on

T H E B O Y & T H E S E R P A N T
JUGHEAD & ROSARIO
❝If music be the food of love, play on.❞

☺ ☹ ☺

Rosario wondered; If I were to let go, would I die? Perhaps the joke was far too morbid, idiotically nivae, even, for one as young as Rosario Lodge to ponder on such a thing; but the thought lingered in his mind like dawns shadow. He looked down upon the people-whom were no larger than ants from where he hung-and laughed. Veronica, from the other end of Rosario's bedroom, grimaced at the sound, asking: "Why are you laughing?" Rosario digested the quetion for a moment as he asked himself the question. Why was he laughing? "I don't know"-Rosario confessed as he still hung from the windowsill-"because." The younger Lodge sighed from where she stood, but made no further attempt in continuing the conversation as Rosario crawled through the window; the smell of cigars following.

Rosario went in headfirst, his hands planting themselves onto the carpeted ground as he held a brief, clumsy, handstand. The balance lasted a second, if that, before his arms gave in, and he toppled onto the ground, a nearby lamp following him in his fall. "You broke a lamp."

Rosario stared at the ceiling for a moment, a frown creased on his lips. "Pity." He turned his head toward Veronica, who now seated herself beside Rosario, and flashed her a smile. Short, and ungenuine. Beside him, he could hear his sister scoff in response. "Why do you reek of cigerattes?"

He scoffed, as though offended by the inquirment. "It was a cigar," Rosario stated, matter-of-factly. "What do you take me for? An animal?" Veronica smiled; her smile far more genuine, and lasting than Rosario's had been.

Both were silent as Rosario stood-Veronica, watching in silence as Rosario circled the bedroom, his eyes lingering over the cardboard boxes-Unlabeled, he acknowleged, scowling-his eyes scouted the room once more before he finally spoke. "Where is my t-shirt?"

"You mean the one three sizes too big that says, 'Nicest Asshole' on it?" Veronica snorted, her tone dry. Rosario shedded the shirt he wore-hickeys that marked his paling skin exposed-as he scouted the bedroom again, scowling. Veronica's eyes flickered over the markings; her expression unreadable. Rosario didn't know what to make of Veronica's lingering stare, so he chose not to think of it at all. "Here." Veronica raised the shirt, and offered it to Rosario. "Mom was about to pack it." He scoffed, and jerked the fabric from Veronica's grasp.

"Oh? So it is true"-Rosario nodded to himself-"we really are moving to Riverdale. Lovely."

"Tell me," Veronica began, her words careful as she watched Rosario shield the tainted skin through his clothing, "does Daddy know you're still seeing... Boys?" Rosario froze, if not for a moment, a second, before he spoke.

"Daddy-dearest is in prison," Rosario stated. Veronica hummed, and nodded silent as Rosario kicked away his black, cap-toe lace up boots. "And, what I do in my freetime, is none of your concern." Rosario knew how his Father-Hiram Lodge-saw men such as... himself. Both his and Hermione's opinion.

Veronica huffed, surpressing an eye-roll as she stood, her arms folded as though to appear intimidating. "He won't be in jail forever, Rosario. I suggest you keep that in mind."