12) Hardest Workers

Peter was enjoying another sunset swing through Queens on his way home from the little incident he had with the girl named Felicia and the two boys. The journey from Manhattan really picked up his spirits from the whole job thing. He tried to keep his thoughts about it in the back of his head, but they always managed to regain his attention.

INCOMING MESSAGE FROM MAY PARKER: Going out to eat, want to join me??

Peter always liked it when he and May went out to dinner. It was a nice tradition that she tried to keep going ever since his uncle died. They would talk about what was going on in their lives and listen to each other's opinions on how they should move forward. "Karen," he said, "text back: Sure, where?"

NEW MESSAGE: Del Mar's??

At first, he was quite alright with that choice, but then he remembered that he mentioned the idea of working at Del Mar's to her. He now regretted telling her as he deduced her intentions of choosing his deli out of all other options in the city. "O.k.," he said reluctantly to Karen, "tell her I'll be there in a few."

A few minutes later, he landed on a roof across the street from the bodega and where he saw May. She stood there waiting with her arms crossed over her chest. She had her hair down and wore her usual pair of glasses that Peter thought were sometimes dorky. She wore a flower covered sun dress that loosely fell down to her ankles. Peter could see her sandals bouncing up and down off the ground from how anxious she was for him to show up. He took his suit off and changed atop the roof he stood upon. Stuffing his suit into his backpack, he leapt to the sidewalk below and trudged over to his waiting aunt.

May smiled at the sight of him, and Peter gave a reluctant smile in return. They embraced is a short hug before walking in. As May reached for the door handle, Peter snarked, "Don't think I don't know what you're up to."

May gave a cheeky smile as she turned to face her nephew. "I'm not up to anything," she said, "I just want a sandwich." She knew he would figure out why they were there, but the fact that he showed up gave her reassurance that he understood what she wanted for him. It was maybe proudest that she had ever been of him within the past couple months. 

She let Peter enter first, and Peter immediately announced their arrival. "What's up Mr. Del Mar."

Mr. Del Mar had been wiping down the work station when they walked in and turned around quickly at the sound of Peter's voice. "Hey, it's the Parkers," he said with a smile, "a lovely evening to you both."

"Hi," May replied, "can we get two sandwiches please."

"Sure thing," Del Mar assured, he always enjoyed preparing sandwiches for loyal customers like them. "The usual for you Pete," he asked, to which Peter nodded his head, "and what for you May?"

"A meatball sub will do thanks" she replied with a friendly smile.

"Will do" he said, and he and his co-worker set to work on their sandwiches.

Peter and May waited patiently, occasionally tapping their feet to beat of The Lovin' Spoonful's "Summer in the City" over the radio or swerving their bodies around to observe the surrounding shelves and food products. Peter was conflicted about whether he should ask or not about the job but May broke the silence before he could. "I think you should ask him" she suggested sweetly.

"May, I still think that's not a good idea" Peter contended in a whisper.

"It never hurts to ask."

Peter was getting slightly annoyed by her constant nagging. "May, please let me..."

"Excuse me," she blurred to Mr. Del Mar, and Peter rolled his eyes and head in irritation, "are you guys hiring by any chance?