Chapter 1

A/N welcome to chapter one of Love After War! I hope you enjoy it!!!!!

<Katniss's POV>

I feel so alone. Everyone I love is miles away. I barely talk to my mother, I can't stand to look at Gale, and Prim is dead. All I have is the cat that she cared for.

And him but he is lost as well. I lost the boy will the bread because he was hijacked. Haymitch and I know he will never be the same because we know how he really felt before all of this crap. Others see the improvement but we don't.

The last time I spoke to him was when he was planting the primroses. I thought maybe he was coming back but I didn't want to get my hopes up.

The nightmares still come every night. I know it's because his strong arms aren't around me and the scent of cinnamon isn't filling my nose.

I am tired so I am going to bed. I make my way up the staircase in my empty house and plop down on my bed alone and slowly drift into a sleep full of tragedy. Full of the one little duck I couldn't save.

<Peeta's POV>

No she is good! I think to my self. I am fighting of another shiny memory. My hands are gripping the bottom of my chair with all force. I run over to the window and smash it with my elbow. Winter air rushes in my house. I take a piece of the glass and slit my wrists in effort to stop the memories. It doesn't work. I know she's good!

I throw everything off the table including a knife I was cutting my food with. It slices my hand. I walk over to the wall and punch it screaming. My nuckles split open.

I hit my head on the wall over and over until finally I fall to the ground facing the door. I see someone walk in then nothing.

<Katniss's POV>

I wake up from a nightmare. Prim was a zombie coming to kill me for not saving her.

I can't fall back asleep so I just sit in my bed. Glass shatters from the house next door. I hear a scream from Peeta. My dying wish still remains from the quarter quell. Save Peeta.

I run out of bed not even stopping to put on shoes. I open the door and run through the cold snow. It stings my feet but I ignore it.

When I open Peeta's door I see him unconscious on the floor bleeding out of his palm, wrists, elbow, head, arms. Objects are scattered everywhere. "Peeta!" I scream in terror. I run over to his limp body. Prim would know what to do but I am clueless.

In the kitchen I grab a washcloth and wet it. I start washing the cuts when I hear him mumble,"You took care of me in the hunger games. Real or not real?"

I smirk and say,"Real."

He smiles then his eyes open wide. They are not his usual blue they are black dialated with fear. He gets up and so do I.

"Peeta it's me! It's Katniss, I am not dangerous! You have loved me since you were five!"

"No, mutt!" Peeta grabs a knife from the floor and pushes me to the floor. He puts his arm across my chest holding me down. He tries to put the knife through my neck but I hold back his arm.

"Peeta! Please I still love you!" His eyes go blue for a second and his grip loosens but the real Peeta vanishes and hijacked Peeta returns.

Just when my hand slips from his arm and the knife is about to stab me he is lifted up by a man with shaggy blonde hair.

Haymitch.

"Peeta stop!" He yells at peeta while pushing him into a wall. "Calm down you love Katniss you do. You speak with words not with actions. You told Katniss you're favorite color is sunset orange. You bake and paint. And you are deep down better then the rest of us. Calm down. You love Katniss. And whether she knows it or not I know she loves you."

I am shocked. I didn't know Haymitch could speak like that. And is he right do I really love Peeta? I know I said it but was that to save my own skin?

Peeta's eyes return to the beautiful blue I love so much. Haymitch releases him. He looks at me. "Katniss I'm sor-" his words get cut off when he cringes holding his side. He must not of felt it before because he was running off adrenaline but now I see the blood above his hip.

When Haymitch pushed Peeta back the knife Peeta was holding stabbed his side.

He slides out the knife and falls to the ground in a pool of blood."Peeta no! Stay with me!"

His eyes are trying to stay open. Haymitch and I run to his side and sit. Haymitch covers the stab wound. Peetas hand reaches up to my face. "Always," For the first time in forever I feel warm and almost happy but then Peeta's eyes close. I scream his name over and over. Haymitch brings my to the couch. Usually he has Peeta to help him with this but he is alone now. He takes out a syringe and shoots it into my arm. My eyes close just like Peeta's.

<Peeta's POV>

I reach up to her face my side still aching.

I remember.

Then once again blackness.

A/N well there you have it he remembers. Wow let's hope Peeta doesn't die...