Broken But Not Shattered - Outlaw Queen one-shot

Regina's POV (basically her POV the whole story though so...)

I wince as the shot of chronic pain right where my heart is stabs into me again. And again. And again. The blessing of sleep will never come, carry me away out of this hell I'm living. My eyes widen in pain. I feel as if I've been shot, and am still being shot, in the same place. The pain only worsens each time.

I can't take this torture anymore. I'll have to put my heart in the crypt. I stand up, well, try to. I fall back on my bed with a gasp. I clutch my chest as a searing pain, nothing like I've ever felt before, tears through me. It feels as if I'm slowly turning to ashes, the agonizing process beginning with my heart. Not that that surprises me; it wouldn't surprise anyone. Another bullet passes through my chest, and I turn on my side, clenching my teeth. All the while attempting to get all thoughts of Robin and Marian out of my head. She can't be back. As soon as I think that, a knife plunges into my heart. If she's back, Robin will completely forget about me. Here comes another knife; I curl into a ball. Because nobody can ever really love the evil queen.

Shaking all over, I hoist myself up, plant my feet, and stand. I rock back and forth, addressing the fact that I feel like I'm about to throw up everything inside of me. I'm weighted down by something, and when I take that first agonizing step, I have to put all of my strength into it, so I don't collapse onto the floor in a heap. I take another step. Another. One more. I grab on to the doorframe, breathing hard and clutching my chest.

'Just take your heart out now,' one side of me says, 'it'll ease the pain.'

'Absolutely not! You can't risk anything happening on the way to the crypt,' the other side says.

I can't think straight, I can't see well, I'm dizzy. All of those are perfectly good excuses for falling down a few stairs. As I'm coming down the stairs, I hear Henry's voice drifting out from his room.

"No! Mom, you can't... let her do it," he says, "she's the... evil queen... she'll destroy... your... happiness. Please, Mom, no!"

I fall to the floor as I feel something crack. It's not any of my bones, they feel fine (other than the fact that they feel like they've been replaced with lead pipes), but something else. I heave myself up from the floor, trying as hard as possible not to pass out.

He thinks I'm evil. He views Emma as his mother... still....

CRACK!

The same thing as last time, still not a bone or a joint. Daggers of cold shoot through me, branching out from my chest, causing me to stumble down the rest of the staircase. I turn around, everything spinning around me, and somehow make my way to a door. It takes a few tries to open the doorknob, but I finally get it and step out onto the porch. I stumble down the two steps and fall forward. I let out a shriek as I faceplant into a bush.

"Dammit!" I say as I spit out a leaf.

I stand up as my stomach clenches and my eyes widen. I run to the garage and gag, expecting to vomit, over a trash can. It comes eventually, and I feel a little better afterward. Better enough to remember where I'm going. The crypt. I continue to walk around the house and up to the door. I slide it open and step inside, all the while my heart convulsing inside of me.

I hear the door open and close behind me; I turn around. My legs give out when I see who it is.

Robin.

"What-" I take a pained breath, "what are you doing here?"

"I was on a walk, and I saw you fall... into a bush; you didn't seem okay, so I decided to see what was going on," he says, helping me up.