XXI

Liam walked slowly back into his room slipping into the bed with Niall who stirred but didn't wake, he glanced at the clock on the nightstand groaning as he knew that the sun would be rising in a matter of minutes and indoubtably the hustle and bustle of life outside the hospital. 

He snuggled into the warmth of Niall as he attempted to get some sleep as the sunlight crept in through the blinds. He felt his mind slow as he replayed the words between him and Griff in his mind, lulling him off to sleep. 

What seemed like moments later Liam was being shook awake as he groaned even more trying to fight off the impending day. 

"Liam!" Niall whispered in his ear as he buried his face deeper into the pillow. "Leeemo!" Niall singsonged into his ear again. 

Finally he pulled open his eyelids looking to Niall sleepily. 

"Morning babe." Niall said. 

"Hi. What time is it?" Liam asked groggily. 

"Noon." Niall answered smiling down at him.

"Noon?" Liam asked yawning as he popped up on his elbows. "God, I was out wasn't I?" 

"You looked so cute so i let you sleep." Niall smiled kissing him on the lips.

"What is going on today?" Liam asked as he stood up pulling his jeans on for the day, Niall tossing him a plaid shirt from his closest.

"Nothing."

"Nothing?" Liam asked unsure as he buttoned his shirt while Niall watched him leaning on his crutches.

"Well no, actually we have a press conference later with the boys but that isn't for several hours." Niall answered truthfully. 

"Ah, press conference, of course." Liam huffed as he sat down on the bed Niall joining him.

"Everything ok?" Niall asked. 

"Honestly, no. I couldn't sleep much last night kept thinking about what you said." Liam breathed out without looking up to Niall. 

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to worry you." Niall said sadly. 

"Stop apologizing, none of this is your fault. I don't understand how you could think that." Liam sighed heavily. 

"I don't know what to think anymore."

"Me either." Liam agreed. 

"I'm just glad we are both alive and safe." 

Liam turned pressing his lips into Niall's agreeing with his words, he felt the blond smile against his lips. 

"I don't know how to help you through this." 

"I don't know how to help you either, i think it's just something we have to stand with each other." Niall answered as he slipped his hand into Liam's open palm leaning his head on his strong shoulders, the weight of which brought comfort to Liam, he sighed as Griff's words floated back to him.

"That's what Griff said." Liam said offhandedly. Niall lifted his head off of his shoulder turning to him.

"When did Griff say that?" He asked curiously. 

"Oh, last night. I couldn't sleep so i called him and we met up for some coffee." 

"You met him last night?" Niall asked again as if he didn't quite hear Liam the first time. 

"Yea, after you fell asleep I couldn't stop thinking about what you told me so i called just to talk to a friend you know." 

"Last night? After i fell asleep?" Niall's voice was strained and tense.