Late Night Breakdown

Dempsey woke up at three in the morning the morning after graduation. He had went to wrap his arms around Tatum and found the bed empty. They had been sharing a bed since the night that Tatum walked in to his room unable to sleep. He had found that he couldn't sleep without her now. She was a new norm and he never wanted to go without her. It kind of terrified him to think just how much Tatum meant to him. He knew once he admitted his true feelings for her, there was no going back.

He was nervous when the realization hit him that she wasn't in bed with him. Dempsey always had this fear in the back of his mind that Tatum was going to up and leave him with Oakley. He knew he couldn't handle it if that ever happened. He got up and searched the apartment for her. He looked in newly finished nursery and found Tatum sobbing in the recliner that had been placed next to the crib. She was clutching a small stuffed elephant that Scott had gotten for him.

Dempsey went in and got on his knees in front of her. He took her hands and asked, "What's wrong, babe?"

"Do you hate us? Do you wish that none of this had ever happened?"

"What?! Of course not. Why would you think that?"

"You are giving up so much. It's not fair. I just want it to be equal. I hate the idea of you giving up more than me and regretting everything that has happened and will be happening in the near future."

"Hey! All that other stuff doesn't matter. Is this about the party? Tate, I didn't want to go to that party. It sounded stupid anyway. I wanted to be here with you. I don't know what to do to show you that you and Oakley are the important ones in my life. I need the two of you more than I need a stupid party. It's about time that I grow up anyway. I'm going to be someone's dad in six weeks. I want to be my best for him and for you. Going to a party and getting drunk is not going to be my best. I was never big on the parties anyway. I just went because I felt like I had to. That last party was my favorite though."

Tatum blushed. "Stop it. You have got to stop saying things like that."

"No. I am just telling the truth. I just wish you could see yourself the way that I see you. I know I have been a terrible husband so far, but I can only hope that you will continue to give me a chance to show you that I'm not the same jerk I was in the past. I just want to be someone that you and our son will be proud to have around."

"You are proving to be one heck of a gentleman. I hope Oakley grows up to be just like you."

"I don't know about that. I'm really not that great."

"You are. But I just worry... When you turn 30 you are going to look back and wish you had had the chance to be a kid. Instead you are 18, stuck in a loveless marriage with a baby you don't want on the way."

"That is not true! I cannot wait to meet our son. The thoughts and feelings for my wife are changing in the best way possible. I wish I would have seen you the way that I see you now a lot time ago. I was so dumb not to see the great person that was right under my nose. We are going to make this work. I can't wait to watch our son grow with you by my side. We are in this together. I don't want you to ever forget it."

"You are amazing. I'm sorry that I lost it. These hormones are killer. I can't wait to have some control of my body back soon. They aren't kidding when they talk about all the changes you go through during pregnancy. I know it won't go right back to the way it was before he was born, but it hasn't to be better than this crazy roller coaster of emotions. It really isn't fair to you to have to deal with all this stuff while working. I'm sorry that I am not more help to you. Once Oak gets here I'm going to look for a job and help out more."

"It's okay. I'm just glad that I am here for you. I want you to continue to stay home while you can. You are under enough stress as it is with everything else. It's not right. I know you want to help out with the bills and junk, but I'm more worried about making sure that you and our boy stay healthy for me. I don't know what I would do if anything happened to you."

"You are so sweet."

"Can we go back to bed now? I sleep like crap without you next to me."

"I know the feeling. I'm glad I didn't take you up on getting that ridiculous pillow. I like cuddling up next to you better. There is a problem though."

"What's that? Is there anything I can do to help? Do we need to do a late night craving session? We haven't had one of them in a while."

"No. Oak must still be full from dinner. But Umm... I can't get up."

Dempsey chuckled. "Oh, babe. No worries. I've got you. Football training wasn't for nothing." Dempsey scooped her up in his arms. He kissed her and carried her back to bed. After lying down next to Tatum, Dempsey spent another hour awake just thinking about how much their life was about to change. It was a change that he couldn't wait to experience after all the months of drama and preparing for Oakley to come into the world. He knew the next six weeks were going to be both the fastest and slowest times of his life.