Coming Home

Tatum was terrified of going home with Lilah.  Oakley had screamed and cried the night before when Tatum had told him that she wasn't coming home with him.  Dempsey had to go home to calm him down and Tatum felt useless.  She just wanted both of her babies to be happy.  She just wanted Oakley to take to his sister quickly.

Dempsey came in and asked, "How are my girls this morning?  Our boy is at home getting spoiled by his aunt, uncle and grandparents.  I'm ready to get the two of you home with us.  Last night was terrible without you."

"How was he last night?  Watching the two of you leave last night just about killed me.  I don't know how we are going to do it."

Babe, he is one and a half.  He doesn't know what is going on.  He is going to be fine.  We are going to be fine.  I know it is alot, but we are going to get through this together.  Teamwork makes the dream work, remember?  I know we have school, but your parents have been awesome.  Scott, Sophie and Elyse are obsessed with the kids.  We have all kinds of people that are there for us."

"I know.  It's just a lot right now.  I don't know how I ever thought I was going to be able to do school and take care of our kids.  Maybe I should put it off until they are in school.  That would be the smartest thing to do.  Oak needs reassurance that he isn't going to be forgotten.  Lilah is going to need a lot of time.  How am I ever going to be able to write a paper?"

"Hey.  It is going to be fine.  We are going to figure this all out.  We'll get them on a nap schedule so that will give you some time.  I'll take over as soon as I get home so you can do some homework.  Don't give up on us before we have even tried.  We can put them into the school daycare and you can start going to classes on campus next semester.  Whatever you need to do."

"I don't know.  I'm just so overwhelmed right now."

"Understandable, but you are not alone.  I love you so much.  I can't wait for everything that this life has in store for us.  We are going to figure it all out."

"Can you change her while I get dressed?  I want to get home."

"Yes ma'am.  I have to get the two of you home.  I'm so ready for the four of us to be home and together as a family."

Dempsey helped Tatum to the door while carrying her bag and Lilah's car seat.  As soon as they walked in Oakley came toddling over to Tatum.  He said, "Momma!  Hold!"

Tatum leaned down and picked him up.  She groaned as she stood back upright.  Dempsey said, "Tate, you shouldn't be lifting him right now.  You just had a baby."

She looked at him and told him, "I have a toddler that needs me.  I can handle picking him up.  We are going to go cuddle on the couch."  Tatum kissed him on the cheek and sat down with Oakley.

Tatum asked Oakley, "Did you have fun this morning?"

"Yeah, but I miss you."

"I missed you too, baby.  Do you want to help me with your sister?  Can you give her her pacifier for me?  You are going to be the best big brother.  Lilah already loves you."  

Dempsey gave him her pacifier as he held Lilah.  Oakley put the pacifier in her mouth.  Oakley smiled and said, "I do good."

Tatum and Dempsey laughed.  Dempsey told him, "You did great, Oak.   Lilah is so much happier now.  Thank you."

Sophie came over and said, "James is coming over in a little bit, if that is okay."

Tatum said, "Thank goodness I finally get to meet the guy.  I was afraid that you were ashamed of me or something.  Everyone else has met the guy and I haven't."

"Absolutely not.  You have been a little busy.  I can't wait for him to meet my favorite sister, niece and nephew."

Tatum laughed.  "I'm your only sister, weirdo.  I don't know what this guy sees in you."

"I don't know either, but I'm very lucky to have him.  I can't wait to finally go out on date night with the rest of you."

"I doubt we are going to be going along for date night too soon.  With a new baby and toddler, it is going to be a little bit of work."

"Hey.  Even mom and dad need a night out every once in a while.  It will be fine.  You guys will be able to handle this like pros before you know it."

Dempsey smiled and said, "Thanks Soph for the vote of confidence."

Scott said, "Alright.  I'm going to take on the niece.  Hey, Oak.  Can you help me find a toy for your sissy?  I think she would like to have something to hold onto.  I bet she would love it if her big brother would help find her a toy."

Oakley exclaimed, "I help make baby happy."

"Good job little dude.  I used to bring your momma toys when she was a baby to make her happy and now I'm one of her favorite people."

Tatum rolled her eyes and said, "He is right there.  Uncle Scott is one of my favorite people.  He always knew what I needed when I was little.  I'm sure you are going to be just the same for Lilah."

Oakley took off with Scott to help find Lilah a toy to hold onto.

Dempsey and Tatum had gotten Oakley to bed.  Now they were lying in bed holding each other.  Dempsey said, "Tate, I know that today was long and exhausting, but I'm so glad we have family that loves our kids so much.  I never thought I would have two kids by 19, but I can't imagine a better life than the one that we have.  I know it is going to be hard, but it is going to be so worth it."

"I love you.  I'm so glad you stuck around.  I was so afraid that you were going to leave me."

"Not a chance.  I am so ready to live this crazy life.  I was terrified when all of this started.  We had a crazy start to things, but everything happened for a reason.  Our two little miracles are so worth all the hard stuff.  I love you, babe.  I'm so sorry for how things started.  I was terrible to you."

"We were young.  It was scary.  It's still scary.  I'm just so glad we are in this together.  I couldn't imagine doing this with anyone else."

"Good, because I would only ever want to live this life with you, too.  Now lets try to get some rest before this little girl wakes us up all night."  Dempsey pulled her into his arms and kissed her full on the lips.