big news

4 am
jake woke up much too early wednesday morning to the sound of amy moving around in the bathroom, the door slightly ajar, just enough for an abundance of light to peek through into their dark room.
jake's eyes fluttered drowsily, trying to shake away the grogginess he was feeling.
"ames?" no answer. jake reluctantly got up out of the warm bed and made his way over to the bathroom door. he pushed it open gently with one hand, temporarily blinded by the light. when his vision cleared up, he saw amy. she was sitting in the corner, up against the sink, sitting on the cold tile floor. she had a pregnancy test in her hand; her face was unreadable as she stared down at the plastic stick.
jake didn't know what to say, so he walked over to amy and lowered himself to next to where she was sitting.
"ames, what's going on?" he inquired, even though he knew the answer. she didn't speak, but she turned the test towards him to reveal the two lines indicating she was pregnant.
"this was my third test. i think it's fair to assume that i am, without a doubt, carrying our child." she stared into her husband's warm brown eyes and gave a small smile as she said this. jake's eyes lit up, and he was happy.
"i mean- uh, this is great! it's what we wanted!" he tried to convince himself of this. as much as he wanted a child, he was scared.
"ames, i don't know if i'm ready. i will love and care for this child with everything i have, but am i really responsible or mature enough to take this next step?"
"jake," amy said, looking at him reassuringly. "don't be crazy. i don't think i've ever met anyone else as suitable for being a father as you. you're the most caring, kind, and lovable person i know. i love us, and i love our life, and i married you because i know we're capable of starting a family. we love each other and that's all that matters. you're going to be an amazing father." as she said this, she intertwined her fingers with his and gave a little squeeze.
"you really think so?" he said, looking up from their hands.
"i absolutely do."
jake started to feel excitement at this news, and stood up abruptly, taking his wife with him. he laughed as he spun her around and drew her into a hug.
"i'm going to be a dad!" he pulled away from amy and stared into her beautiful mocha eyes, a moment that lasted forever. "i love you, ames."
"i love you too."