Part 16: CALL ME

Why can't I hold you in the street?
Why can't I kiss you on the dance floor?
I wish that it could be like that
Why can't it be like that?
'Cause I'm yours  

FAITH

After days of bantering with myself. I was here again at the office of the man that I told myself I wouldn't see anymore after the drama at the coffee shop.

I already gotten my car, overhauled, full tanked and washed over. It shines in the sunlight now and was easier to drive. Thank's to the man that I crashed it into.

Hindi ako pumayag kumuha ng bagong kotse o ng bagong second hand. Ayokong dagdagan ang utang na loob ko sa lalaking ito. I just thought he had already done so much.

Then I told myself that I should just forget about the job offer, but it had been almost a week and I hadn't had an offer good enough for me to live decently with my mom and sister. I need a job that would pay all our bills, my sister's college and my loans.

I knew I still had my pride intact and I would try my best to keep it. Paghihirapan ko ang bawat sentimong kikitain ko sa Portugal Enterprises International. I just learned the name of the corporation from Justin. Kahit ang calling na binigay ni Marcus ay puro numero lang ang laman. 

Justin De Vera mentioned a salary that was three times the offer that I had on my previous job with exactly the same position and workloads. Plus, I would be given a scholarship to enroll at review center at night and a CPA position once I passed. Wow!

Akala ko ay niloloko lang ako ni Justin. But Marcus keeps on texting me everyday to take the offer. Amazing how in a span of almost a month he made sure I knew I exist in his life.

My sister, Hope, was thinking at times that Marcus likes me. You know, the kind of like that was verging into sexuality. But I was not a dreamer like my sister who was so inlove with Nick Jacob. I always knew where I stood in someone's life. And I didn't want to be that woman in Mr. Portugal's life. Or Marcus. He said to call him Marcus. Nah!

Ang appointment ko ay alas-diyes. I arrived twenty minutes before ten. The secretary, Annie, told me right away that Mr. Portugal would be available for me by ten. That was just fine. Mas mabuting maaga ako kaysa late.

Unlike the last time I met this man that I was upset because I thought he was hiding from me, now, I plainly need his help, and my goal is to impress him.

Eksaktong alas diyes ay sinabihan akong pumasok sa opisina. The double panel door was leather bound. Parang libro na hardbound at cushioned. May nag-click sa loob nang tumapat ako sa pinto. Sinenyasan ako ni Annie na itulak. And I did push. Medyo mabigat, but I managed.

Siya agad ang bumungad sa akin. He was in his dark brown suit and yellow long sleeves inside. Walang neck-tie at bukas ang tatlong butones sa dibdib. He was semi-slouching on the chair with hands on the arms of the tall swivel. Hindi niya itinago ang pagtitig sa akin. In my wildest dream I would imagine him smitten.

Whoa! Of course not! My black heels were only two inches tall and instead of business clothes I was in a short flowery pink summer dress that I topped with black coat. I tied my wavy hair in a bun on top of my head because I didn't want it on the way of anything I would do today, but loose curls still fell on the sides of my face.

Itinuro niya ang visitors chair sa harap ng malapad at makintab na desk. I sat in there. May kinuha siyang folder sa drawer at binuksan iyon. Probably my resume. I sent it through email to the HR Department yesterday. Umayos siya ng upo at may isinulat sa papel sa folder. But he was bobbing his leg.