Chapter 20

The storm raged all through the night.

It was partly because of that that Thorin couldn't sleep, but also... also because of what she'd said.

'Whatever you do, Thorin, it will be best. I trust you.'

I trust you.

What reason did she have for trusting him, he wondered as he stared at her lone figure, blanket wrapped around her, silently watching as the storm raged around her. She was huddled some way away from the shadows of the overhanging rock they'd chosen as a campsite, the rock he sat beneath.

It didn't offer much shelter, but...

Apparently he wasn't the only one who couldn't sleep tonight.

Thunder boomed, the sound rumbling across the landscape, rumbling in his very bones. In his aching heart.

Seconds later, lightning flashed, silhouetting the drenched woman sitting huddled on the grass, her knees tucked up against her chest.

Alone. She looked so alone, huddled amongst the vastness of the grasslands. The vastness of the world.

And Thorin wished he could go and comfort her, wished he could tell her that she was not alone and never would be, but he just lay down and pulled his blanket around him.

But even when he fell asleep, that image still haunted his dreams.

A lovely woman sitting so still while the storm raged around her, watching it with quiet grief.

And the storm that watched her back.