Chapter 46

One week later, Arien and Thorin sat side by side on a green hilltop, so similar to the one where they'd first kissed, on their way to the Blue Mountains. Ered Luin, it was called, and they were leading the refugees of Erebor there, as they hoped that it, unlike the Woodland Realm, would be more welcoming. They had already asked Thranduil for aid, had begged for it, and he had refused them. For days afterwards Arien had been able to feel the anger rippling off Thorin. Not for himself, but for his people.

The sun was rising over the hilltop, the golden-yellow rays lighting up the darkness of the night. The rustling of the awakening camp sounded behind them as Arien and Thorin sat side by side and greeted the sun as it rose over a new day. A new world, a new life. A breeze grew around them, leaves falling from the trees, floating and dancing past them like ash, ash from a life burned into nothing. But the rising sun, peaking above the hilltop and turning the blue-grey darkness into glowing gold and orange light welcomed the new life they would find. The life they would forge and build and create for the broken people of Erebor, the life they would find together. For their families, for their people, for their future. And for them. 

Arien glanced sidelong at her prince, who had saved her and reforged her, who had walked that dark path alongside her, walked with her back to the light. Often, she found it an effort not to scream to all the world that he was hers. That this beautiful, brave, noble prince was hers. He'd said as much, that first night after Smaug had taken Erebor, when he'd... been inside her again.

He had not grown back the plait on his beard, and when Arien had asked him if he ever would, he'd replied yes, when he reclaimed his homeland. Until then, he would keep it short in memory of those who had died. Arien had told him it only made him look more handsome than he already had been, though she didn't think that was possible.

Now, Thorin leaned over and took her hand, rubbing his thumb over her skin with a gentleness that cracked her heart.

"I love you," he said quietly. "You are more beautiful than all the gold in Erebor, and I love you. You are mine, and I am yours, and it will remain like that unto the ending of the world."

Arien leaned in and kissed him, even as her toes curled. But she whispered quietly

"What are you going to do now?"

Now that he had lost his home, his mother, his wealth. Now that he had not only his people to put back together, but himself.

"What are we going to do?" she added. Because whatever happened, whatever he had to do, they would face it together. Together, they would find a way.

He did not answer for a moment, just stared out at the horizon. Then he said

"We do not look back." Swallowing, he continued. "Time does not slow down to allow us to look back. We do not get to decide what happens in our time. All we can do is go on, and know that this –– this misery and grief –– this is not how it ends. That there is a better world out there, and we will see it. We will fight for it, because it is the only way. As long as we live on, and hope that we will find that world, then it does not end here." He finally turned to face her, his eyes bright with tears. "All we have to do is find our courage."

Thorin squeezed her hand, smiling at her through his tears. But Arien could not move. Because when Thorin had spoken, it had not been a prince who looked at her out of those deep blue eyes.

It had been a king.