vi | and kings shall bow

hey, if you wanna read on how to help Potere win an award, don't skip the ending author note! thank you all for being so incredibly patient, seriously, I don't deserve you guys.

p.s. what do you think of the new covers? I'm really freakin proud of them I made them myself akjakksj

don't forget to vote.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

I re-watched Rico's video to Carmen until I couldn't anymore. I watched it until I had his message memorized. I watched it until I pinpointed the fluctuations in his voice. I watched it until I was able study his body language, his lips as he spoke, and his eyes. Carmen stood beside me the entire time, hands over her mouth as tears streamed down her face.

On the sixth replay, I cut it off. I cut the video off before I could hear his voice crack again, weakness seeping through his tone as he reached out, desperate for someone's touch. I wasn't strong enough to hear him utter, "My queen," again.

By the time I reach our bedroom, I'm physically and emotionally exhausted. Liam lies beside his sister, who snuggles against his side, asleep. He doesn't greet me as I walk in, shutting the door behind me. His eyes don't even divert from the piece of jewelry he has dangling before him. I tread closer, coming to understand why he can't look away.

It's Rosalie's Fantasma engraved necklace, a present Rico had gifted her over a year ago.

Concern tightens my stomach as I approach Liam's side of the bed. From the moment Federico left that necklace for her, Rosalie has refused to take it off. For over three hundred and sixty-five days, that necklace has traveled with her everywhere. It goes with her in the shower, to school, and even to bed. That little piece of jewelry etched with a name a typical citizen won't recognize, means the absolute world to this nine-year-old girl.

Knowing the...bond...Rosie has with her gift and seeing Liam hold it for the first time since he put it on her, is enough to shatter whatever is left of me.

He blinks away tears and turns his head, looking me dead in the eye. "She doesn't want it anymore."

I look between the necklace and him, confused.

"She doesn't want the necklace because she says he's not with her anymore." We share a glance. Liam's next words come out in a weak breath. "What was I supposed to say?"

I don't have an answer for him.

Liam lets the necklace fall to the matters as he buries his face in his hands. The room falls silent, all except Rosie's quiet, steady breathing. I take the moment to pick up the necklace and admire it. Liam lifts his head as I pocket the gift in a promise to keep it safe.

"I talked to my mom," Liam's voice is hushed as he respects his sleeping sister. He trains his attention on the television that's mounted on the opposite wall, right above the electronic fireplace. "Apologized for putting my hands on her..."

"That's good," I comment softly and say no more. His words come out slow, as if he's thinking too much. I take the pause in conversation to pull a chair from the corner to the edge of the bed and sit down. Liam's gaze is still distant, he's still deep in thought.

He crosses one ankle over the other as he sighs. I study him, watching as his lips part and close an uncountable amount of times. He blinks quickly, momentarily struggling with himself about something. He finally looks to me and the minute my eyes land on his, my chest tightens.