Chapter 25: Liz

I never made it back to the campsite. I had been walking through the trees, my hands grasping the three Mysteries of the Mountain books, the map secured in my pocket, and my head reeling with questions when I had practically run right into Adrian just a few minutes from the camp.

"Oh wow. Sorry!" I said and stepped back, realizing that I had been so focused on my thoughts that I hadn't even seen him coming my way.

"That's alright." Adrian chuckled but his eyes looked concerned "Is there something wrong, Liz? You've been gone for a long time."

"I need to talk to you about something." I whispered, excitement bubbling up inside of me. Would he believe me about the Mysteries of the Mountain books? Would he support me on my ideas? Would he even consider following through with my crazy plan if I convinced him that I was doing the right thing? Well, there was only one way to find out.

"O-kay. What is it?" He asked, worry still very evident in his voice but also curiosity. We both knew just how secretive I was being and if I had been in his situation then even I would have been suspicious but thankfully he followed me as I led the way to a secluded clearing a few meters away. Once I was sure that we were all alone, I sat down on a log and began to speak.

"Do you believe in Magic, Adrian?" I whispered, barely daring to breathe as I watched him ponder my question for a moment. I didn't know what he would say but I was hoping that maybe he wouldn't think I was crazy after all if he already believed in certain things...

"I-I'm not sure if I do or not." He finally said truthfully and I nodded, deciding that his answer would be good enough for now.

"Well, I think I do. There are these books that I found and I believe that they really are magical." I said and pulled the Mysteries of the Mountain books from my bag "There was a message in one of them from their author, Master Masamune and they told me what I have to do with them..."

I trailed off for a moment, unsure what else to say. Everything was all so complicated... How would I ever make Adrian understand?

"And what did they say you have to do?" Adrian finally asked curiously and wordlessly I handed him the sixth Mysteries of the Mountain book to read. His gaze flickered down the message and then he turned the page, seemingly now entranced with the book. I watched him as he seemed to be reading the next pages but when I looked over his shoulder, the book was still entirely blank.

"Wait." I said, realizing something "Can you see what's written in the book?"

"Yes." Adrian said, as if it was obvious and then he glanced up at me in confusion "Can't you?"

"No." I whispered "I can only read this one."

I pointed to the third book and thought for a moment, wondering why I could only see what one of the books said and not the others. The third book had been the first of the books I had held but that couldn't be the reason, could it? Lilly had shown me the book because she wasn't sure what to do with it and in the end she gave it to Oaka. Then when she left the sixth book appeared to me and I could only read the message on the first page. And I had held the first book last and I couldn't see anything in that one... It didn't make any sense and I was even more puzzled to find that Adrian could see and read all three of them. Was I doing something wrong or did Master Masamune only want me to read one of them?

"Perhaps it has something to do with the sacrifice." Adrian said after examining all three books "Master Masamune said in the sixth book that destroying the Magic would come with a sacrifice. Maybe I've already made or had that sacrifice done to me and you haven't yet."

"But Lilly said that she could see what was in the first and third one." I muttered in confusion "And Oaka can only see what's in the first one so this still doesn't make any sense!"