Chapter 1

"Big day today," said my dad as he stood in front of the stove flipping bacon. "I can't believe how big my baby's getting."

I roll my eyes as I push my eggs around my plate with my fork. "It's not that exciting."

"Rose, you turned sixteen today. That's a major milestone." My dad countered. He always made a huge deal out of everything I did in life. He practically passed out from excitement when I first rode a bike, cried when I lost my first tooth, and basically everything else imaginable. I guess as a single parent he must be extra excited for the lack of a parental figure.

"It's just a normal Friday that will involve cake," I shrug. I was never one for birthday parties.

"How can you say that?" dad gasped as he placed a hand over his heart, mocking as if he were hurt. "There will be more than just cake today. There will be singing, presents, and maybe even a clown if you behave."

"A clown?" I question as I raise an eyebrow. "Even after the great clown incident of '09?"

"I didn't know there was going to be a clown there," dad said as he walked over towards me and scooped some bacon onto my plate. "And how was I supposed to know that you were going to punch him?"

"Maybe next time you won't forget to leave 'It' on when your five-year-old daughter is playing in front of the tv," I countered back to tease him.

"Ouch. Low blow," he said as he bit a piece of bacon.

"Are you working late again tonight?"I ask as I stab a piece of egg with my fork and plop it in my mouth.

"Yeah, I have to be back there by eleven. We got a late shipment coming in, so I need to be there," he explained. "You know I hate leaving you alone at night, right?"

I nodded. We didn't live in the nicest part of town, or even the second nicest part of town. Our house was old and run down. The paint was gray and peeling and the wooden floor boards were lifting in the corners. That makes walking around without shoes or socks on a fun game of 'will I get a splinter?'. With our current financial income, this was the only place we could afford.

"You better get to school, or you'll be late," my dad says as he glances at the watch on his wrist.

I mentally groan but I don't let it show. It's not that I hated school or even the fact that it's Friday. I like school and I like learning, but there are a lot of people there who I don't agree with. Most of the time I try to ignore them in hopes that they would leave me alone, but bullies are complex creatures that should be studied by scientist's deep underground.

"Okay Dad, I'll see you later," I said as I stood up from my seat and took my plate to the sink. As I walked past my dad I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and grabbed my bag before walking out the door.

It was late October and the ground was covered in crunchy orange leaves. On days like this, I enjoyed walking to school. I would put my headphones in and blast my music while I feel the satisfying crunch of leaves below my feet. And that's what I did.

The school was only a fifth teen minute walk from my house. As I walked I passed more houses that were rundown as well, but as soon as I crossed the train tracks, it was newer homes.

There was this one home I always liked in particular. It was a two-story yellow house with a wraparound porch. The front yard had a massive garden full of dozens of flowers. The old woman that lived there would always sit on the porch swing and watch the street as if she were expecting someone. I've never talked to her, but when I waved she waved back.

The moment the high school came into view I instantly regretted getting out of bed this morning. All I wanted was to be left alone. That's not too much to ask, but to these people it seems impossible.