Chapter 1 - The Betrothed

UNEDITED

Stone and brick overrode the kingdom, with only small patches of poorly planted shrubberies and foliage to ever suggest wildlife. The great houses and manors only had brightly-colored flags to give any semblance of hue, a poor attempt at trying to bring color in this very dreary, gray kingdom. The gardens in the pavilion were mostly faked, with no real flowers except those few which somehow survived.

The people of Vildar were not to be blamed for this. The kingdom itself was not known for their fertile soil and that fact did not help my homesickness. Back in Danhall, I delighted in playing in the castle gardens, loved to grow plants inside my room and constantly spent afternoons in the meadows. Breathing in this kingdom felt as if I'm robbed of air.

But what Vildar lacked in nature, they made up in their array of jewels. The bright, fiery ruby emblazoned in a golden necklace chain glittered in my bed as it caught the rays of sunlight—beside it was a bracelet made out of emeralds and a pair of matching earrings the size of my fist.

I frowned.

Beside the jewelries lay a note that said: To my betrothed. –A

If this was my first time receiving such luxuries, I would've been impressed, but recently I was having a growing collection of outrageously expensive gems that its value diminished over time.

"A week after I'm here and I see no signs of the prince. I don't know if I should take offense or not," I said irritably at the Vildari maid beside me. Her name was Jaryn and she became the constant receiver of my various tirades towards this ill-mannered prince.

She flinched. "I—he will return shortly from his trip," she stammered. If I was in a good mood, I would've felt bad for her but unfortunately, I was not. A week of strolling in this castle aimlessly had made me grow restless and weary. I have yet to have an audience with my betrothed.

The word left a sour taste in my mouth. Danhall and Vildar were on good terms ever since. Danhall imported fruits and vegetables; Vildar returned the favor with jewels, gold, brass, and copper among others. Though Danhall has recently lost its footing in the power scheme, my father was diligently rebuilding what was destroyed and unfortunately, part of that was giving away his only daughter for a stronger alliance.

I hold no resentment because I have accepted my role as a royal, but I cannot help but be furious at the Vildari Crown Prince for he seemed to have no idea about the basic etiquette: greeting his soon-to-be wife. You don't even have to be a prince to know that. Since the first day I have arrived, I was placed in a very luxurious room befitting of a princess and every day that has passed, jewels and gold were sent to my bedchamber along with curt notes coming from the prince himself.

However, I've had my fill of bright jewels. I wanted to see his face. I wanted to brace myself if I were to find that I would be marrying a beast, an ogre—or perhaps a timid crow. They told me he hasn't returned from his hunting trip but I was no fool.

I stood up and set aside the offending jewelries. "Tell your prince that if he does not see me tomorrow, I shall barge in his suite myself in the middle of the night and strangle him in his sleep," I hissed at the maid. "I know he's hiding here somewhere, not in some faraway trip as you've all been saying."

"Y-yes," Jaryn said quickly, her eyes darting wildly.

I stared at the mouse of a maid I have and thought that all of them were the same. Servants in this kingdom always stole wary glances at me whenever I passed and during the times that they have earned my ire, they would always look around the room frightened and expectant, as if I was going to summon a demon right in the middle of the floor. One night when I was pretending to be asleep and a servant had to rekindle my hearth, I thought I heard her say, fae princess.

I sighed. "You can go now."

Jaryn was all too relieved and didn't waste any time leaving my chambers. I cannot blame them if they thought I was some fae incarnate. What happened to Danhall wasn't exactly a secret.

I stared at the view outside my window: more boulders and rocks, a stark contrast to the view of my room back home where the forest lay—mysterious and enchanting. I let out a heavy, mournful sigh, suddenly remembering a certain man.

What was he doing now, I wonder? I have not heard of any news from the Fae Kingdom ever since his disappearance—except a formal request to recognize their sovereignty.

The Fae Kingdom stood just beside the borders of Danhall though their existence cannot be seen in the naked eye. No man would venture any further and in turn, it took a toll in the economy of Danhall. No foreign merchants would come in to trade, very few accepted the imports from Danhall, fearing that it was tainted with black magic. Curfew was set so that no one would step in the wrong direction in the wrong time and be whisked away in their realm. Right now, we were in our poorest. The only piece of good thing was that living in fae soil meant fertility—food and water.

My marriage to the Vildari Crown Prince secured continuous supply of brass, copper, stones, bricks—things essential in rebuilding torn houses and buildings. Perhaps I shouldn't threaten the prince when the future of my kingdom rests on his fickle shoulders but I'm not known for thinking rationally.

I touched the ruby necklace he sent, its fiery glow reminding me of Ryszard's hair. I felt a dull ache in my heart and I've come to accept that I have to live with that feeling for years to come.

Give up now, Erinne. Your love is lost forever.