- ˏˋ ✧ prologue ✧ ˊˎ -

The bright morning sun shone through the timid apertures the twigs, branches and bits of foliage making the nursery roof made. Inside, the nursery den was peaceful, quiet, the only sounds breaking the zen-filled atmosphere were the light snores coming from the two queens, who were both sound asleep. Amidst the shallow breaths, a silver-gray tabby yawned, stretching open her tiny jaws and taking in a breath of the chilled morning breeze floating in from the entrance.

The tabby kit cracked open an eye, relishing the feel of the comfortable moss underneath her, keeping her both dry and warm. Beside her, she spotted the familiar black and gray pelt of her sister, Nightkit, who was still fast asleep. Flufflekit rolled her eyes.

What a sleepyhead! she thought, a devious idea forming in her mind. She smiled cruelly to herself, being extra cautious when she got out of her spot. Slowly, she crept towards Nightkit on her paws, being careful to keep her steps as light as possible, until . . . Pounce!

Nightkit's eyes shot open with alarm, immediately jumping about three tail lengths in the air. She landed with a thump, her nostrils flared and her eyes blazing a fiery amber, obviously inherited from her father. "Haha! StarClan knows how many tail lengths you just jumped!" Flufflekit meowed with laughter, bowling over to her side.

Nightkit glared at her sister, licking her chest fur vigorously. "Well, I'm sure you wouldn't like it either if someone pounced on you in the middle of an amazing dream . . ." she sighed almost dreamily, her eyes casting a faraway look. Flufflekit waved a paw in front of her sister's face, no reaction to be found.

"Um, hello?" Flufflekit asked, waving her paw more frantically now. Immediately, Nightkit snapped out of her dream-like trance, shaking her head and removing all possible remnants of sleep. She ran her tongue over her whiskers, blinking rapidly. "There we go," Flufflekit announced, playfully ruffling her sister's fur.

"I come out one second later and you act as if you've been here for moons," Nightkit muttered, ducking out of her sister's reach.

"Are you two trouble-makers up, already?" a soft voice meowed, making their mother's presence behind them known. Both kits nodded slowly, while their mother watched them with a joyful twinkle in her eyes. "My, my. Look at you two. Such beautiful and pretty kits." Pride lit Lakestorm's gaze, and Flufflekit felt a comforting warmth spread from her nose to her tail.

"I was hoping to go explore the camp!" Flufflekit mewed, jumping up and down on her nest. Over on the other side of the nursery, rustles were heard, and the tiny pricked ears of a dark gray tom went shooting up. His small head poked on top of his nest, shooting scraps of moss up into the air.

"Did you say explore camp? I want to go, too!" he yelled, his eyes lighting with the hopeful desire of adventure. Lakestorm blinked slowly, her throat rumbling as a soothing laugh escaped her lips.

"I guess it's about time you all go and see the wonders of the camp. Nightkit, would you like to go with Flufflekit and Graykit?" Lakestorm asked, observing her daughter's gaze.

"Of course! I wouldn't miss it for the world," she said, getting to her paws. Flufflekit smiled to herself as she realized this would be the first time she and her sister went out of the nursery together. Another rustle of foliage from the other side of the nursery indicated that Violetkit had now woken up, her rare lilac eyes piercing the surrounding.

"W-wha. . .?" she murmured, running a paw over her still-drooping eyelids. Beside her, Graykit was quivering with anticipation, his energy radiating off of him.