♟ Prologue ♙

┌─────⋅❃⋅⚜⋅❃⋅─────┐

"Now, this is not the end.

It is not even the beginning of the end.

But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

Winston Churchill

└─────⋅❃⋅⚜⋅❃⋅─────┘

༺༻

A hero is one who fights in the face of adversity with ingenuity, courage, and strength. In legends and mythologies, they were known to be blessed with particular gifts, set out on bold and daring adventures, and were often beloved by the gods. Heroes have their shining moments of victory after achieving goals to fulfill and conclude the long journey they began. 

They receive the happy endings after defeating the villain in many battles and ultimately the war. The hero gets rewarded with treasures, showered in love, and graced with good fortune. Though questions do tend to rise when something befalls in the story, and those who are afraid to ask do not seek downhearted answers.

What happens when the hero fails?

What happens in the story when one momentous decision, one crucial failure sets the future in motion that includes dangerous and catastrophic repercussions? What happens when the hero is physically beaten, shaken to his core?

What happens when they are mentally and emotionally tortured by a single exchange?

When they're paralyzed or too heartbroken or too proud or overwhelmed with fear or feeling abandoned?

What about when they feel weak and hopeless and don't know how to recover from the ghosts of their past?

How does the story end then?

༺༻

Darkness blanketed the town of Beacon Hills on an almost normal evening in the month of August. The citizens were mostly at peace, sleeping quietly in their own homes as a storm began brewing. The thick, nearly black clouds swirled high above with a low rumble that would soon grow louder and louder as it neared. Resting close to the edge of Beacon County sat a mental hospital known for its macabre history of both the patients and the faculty, and its morbid interior as well as exterior. An inky black, winged creature swooped onto the metallic sign just outside the building, cawing classically at the trouble brewing beyond the entrance gate as a warning to all who entered.