twenty-one

Niall's P.O.V

-

Phoebe and Ashton got back from the beach two days ago but they've been spending all of that time at Phoebe's place.

I guess Amanda is getting sick of being alone in an empty apartment. Because she practically begs for me to come over even after I tell her I don't want to do anything but lay on my own couch all day.

I'm not in the best mood to be around anyone right now. But I go over anyway for the thought of food and finishing that we show we started.

"Ashton got a promotion at work and Phoebe is throwing a party for him," Amanda tells me while we're browsing for something else to watch.

So I guess that was his reason for taking her all the way to the beach, to share the news about his promotion. Phoebe was always the one for grand gestures like that.

The cookies Amanda put out earlier now feel like rocks sitting in my stomach. "That sounds like Phoebe," I say.

"Yeah? Did she ever plan parties for you?"

"She did something really nice for my last birthday."

"Tell me about it." She leans toward me like she's ready to hear a story.

"Another time."

She tosses her body back into the couch and crosses her arms. I watch different emotions flash over her face until she finally settles with anger. "I can't believe he told her before me."

I don't say anything. I'm afraid if I do I'll just yell. Amanda really can't be mad at her. As if Phoebe had any control of who Ashton decided to tell first. It just reminds me of the problem I have with Amanda.

But she continues. "So, should we talk about clothing options? We don't have to wear the same color but we could at least make it look like we talked to each other about what we wearing and tried to coordinate."

"I'm not going," I tell her.

Now she looks hurt. "Why not?"

"Phoebe blocked my number."

"Really?"

"Yes. Really."

"That sucks." She gathers up the empty plate and soda cans and takes them out of the room.

I feel my stomach twist up some more. I'm upset that she doesn't seem more concerned about this. "Yeah."

"Well, I told you that you were coming off as a psycho in those pathetic texts you kept sending her," she says, reappearing from the kitchen.

"She didn't block me until I called her. And that was all your idea."

"You think this is my fault?" She stabs her finger at her chest. "You're really trying to blame this all on me? I didn't make you do anything. You didn't even have to listen to me. Try taking some responsibility for once in your f.ucking life."

I take that as my cue to leave and shoot up from the couch. "Whatever. I don't know why I came here. Have fun being alone."

-

Phoebe's P.O.V

-

I think I'll be fine if I never have to step foot in Ashton's place again. I like my apartment; it's my safe space. And I do pay to live here so it only makes sense that I sleep here some nights. It's the only place I can have uninterrupted alone time with Ashton. At least until I can actually get him to pack up with me and move to the beach.