nine

Niall's P.O.V.

-

"Hey," I say to Zayn as I let myself into his apartment. He's sitting at his kitchen counter in front of his laptop. He gives me a small smile, acknowledging my entry, and then continues nodding his head to the loud beat traveling through his flat. You can hear the music all the way from the start of the hall. It's a surprise his tenant hasn't kicked him out yet. I walk over to his sound system and lower the music to a more respectable volume.

"I thought you were headed to Phoebe's," Zayn says.

"She wasn't home," I tell him, not ready to face that fact that she'd kicked me out. I'm really not sure what that was back there.

I take a seat on Zayn's couch and pick up a battered comic book laying on his coffee table. "So what's the plan for tonight?" I ask, flipping to the first page.

"Liam has a gig at that new club on third. I was gonna go check him out," he tells me. "You wanna come?"

"Sure." I pull out my phone and see that I have no notifications from Phoebe. I don't know why it's bothering me so much. I'm not really sure what I'm expecting from her. An explanation, maybe, as to why I was so abruptly given the boot or maybe an apology for bruising my precious ego. I won't ever admit it but the thought of being beckoned back to Phoebe's excites me than going out. But I could damn sure use a drink and some other form of company, if it's offered.

-

Zayn pats me on the back, and tells me that he's going to go say hi to Liam, before leaving me at the entrance. I nod him off and head toward the bar.

I find an empty seat near the far end and feel a pair of eyes bore into my left temple as I wait patiently for the bartender to finish pouring some other patron's martini. I ignore the person's gaze and reach into my pocket for my phone. I have a few missed calls from Louis but still nothing from Phoebe. No calls, no texts asking me to come back. I frown. What the f.uck is her deal? It's amazing how I've gone from blaming myself to blaming her in such a short amount of time.

I shove my phone back into my pocket, feeling the same pair of eyes watching my every move. I can see from the corner of my eyes that the person is a girl, a blonde girl, and she's yet to take her eyes off me.

"What can I get you?" The bartender asks me.

"A Heineken, please."

When I receive my drink I hold it up and tip it towards the girl letting her know that I've noticed her staring. She smiles and takes it as her cue to come over and acquaint me.

"Hi," she says, setting her drink down next to mine, a bright red cocktail that's nearly the same color as her dress. My eyes leave her hips to focus on her face. She's pretty in that 'I was runner up for homecoming queen' kind of way but nothing about her stands out to me.

"Hey."

"So you noticed me staring, huh?" She says with a smile tugging at the right side of her mouth.

"It wasn't easy to ignore." I chuckle and take a large sip from my beer.

"I just thought I'd come over and let you know that I enjoyed the view."

"Yeah?"

"Mhm," she hums, pursing her lips at me. She's kind of corny but also a little charming. I wonder if this is how I sound when I pick up girls, if so then I really need to step my game up.

"You're not so bad either," I tell her and she grins, showing off a pageant girl smile.

"Do you want to dance?" she asks, shifting her weight on her heels that I imagine must be killing her feet by now. I smile at her excitement and accept her invitation because why the hell not? I let her take my hand and I follow her onto the dance floor.