Last Cup of Coffee

Not Edited
//:

"I'll take a Caffe Americano, please." Lauren huffs, already slapping the necessary change onto the counter.

Camila pauses, turning her head to the side as if ensuring she heard right. Surely her ex-turned-friend isn't really standing there in front of her, after months of cutting her out... but she is.

"You and I both know you shouldn't be drinking caffeine." She retorts, "What are you even doing here?"

"Just get me the damn coffee." Lauren snaps, adding another five dollars to the counter.

With a sigh, Camila takes the due amount and begins to make the woman's drink.

"Have you got a death wish?" She says only half-playfully, hoping for at least a smile from the older girl.

"Something like that." Is all she receives. Her eyes follow as Lauren makes her way to the booth furthest from the front door, closest to the employee entrance.

"Can you take the next few?" Camila quickly asks Ariana, her coworker, who nods with a small wink and tightens the apron around her front.

The Cuban-Mexican girl makes her way to the back of the room and, before Lauren can take a sip of the drink, pulls the mug over to her side of the table.

"What the fuck?" Lauren glares angrily at the girl, "Give it back."

"Why are you here, Lauren?"

Lauren takes a deep breath, dropping her eyes to the table and fiddling with the zip at the bottom of her leather jacket.

"Camz..." She breathes, "I'm dying."

It's Camila's turn to lower her gaze as those words leave a deep silence between them, despite the sounds of the rest of the shop.

"The medications aren't working for me, and.. I can't afford anything stronger. I'm gonna die and nobody can do anything about it, so will you let me have my last fucking coffee?" A minuscule laugh leaves Lauren's lips, though it's not in humour, imitating the sound of a scoff instead.

"No." Camila refuses, looking back up at Lauren who's head snaps up to face her, "Not yet."

With that, the younger girl takes the coffee in her hands and gulps it down despite its heat, clumsily dropping Lauren's money on the table as she does. Lauren's jaw drops. She looks on in shock as Camila lowers the mug back onto the table, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand and letting out a content breath.

"Come with me." She then instructs, standing up and opening the employee door. She looks at the paler girl expectantly until, with a sigh, she rises from her seat and follows the girl outside.

"Where are we going?" The older girl questions, only to receive a smile and brow-wiggle from Camila.

"We're going to finish your bucket list, and then I'll give you your last coffee."

"I don't have a bucket list." Lauren sighs, turning back to head into the coffee shop before Camila catches her wrist.

"Great!" The younger girl grins, making Lauren frown, "We already have Number 1: make a bucket list!"