Lauren Jauregui is NOT Soft

I honestly forgot I had this book but this is an idea that's been in my mind for a minute and I just had to get it out. I may turn it into a book or do more if there's enough interest as I do have a couple of other scenes bouncing around in my head, but here's this taster for now!

Also, I think I'm going to try and update this book more often now because I have a tON of drafts to finish that I'd love to be seen.
...

Lauren is about to pack up and head home when she hears a sharp thud, followed by a quiet groan. She frowns and makes her way along the ledge on which she'd been sitting, leaning over the railing at the end and watching as the figure below clumsily leapt into the air, the skateboard below it flipping upside down before the groan sounded again.

"You know, you're not meant to be here after they close the gates." She speaks, causing the figure to yelp and look up. It only takes a moment for Lauren to recognize the girl's doe eyes and subtly offset jaw as those of a classmate, one she doesn't even consider an acquaintance, though they pass one another often, and Lauren sometimes finds herself staring at the girl at lunchtime, blaming it on the convenient break in the sea of heads that cause them to sit face-to-face across the room and her frequent habit of daydreaming.

"I- I didn't—"

"You skate?" Lauren interrupts what would've been a rather shoddy plea of innocence.

The girl looks down at the stubby board beside her feet and shrugs, peering back up at Lauren. "I just started."

Lauren nods thoughtfully. "What are you trying to do?"

"Jump."

The girl atop the ramp tosses her head back in laughter, but pauses and clears her throat when she spots the frown being sent her way.

"Don't laugh at me," The girl mumbles, reaching down to flip the board over before making another pitiful attempt.

"Sorry, it's just..." Lauren sighs and pushes her backpack to slide down the quarter pipe, followed by her own skateboard and finally herself. She quickly turned the corner and reached out to grab her shoulders to stop her from trying once more. "Look, I'm sorry I laughed, but you're doing it all wrong."

The girl looks down dejectedly, and Lauren rolls her eyes, pulling out her phone in hopes that it'll be too late and she'll simply have to go home, but it's 10:30 pm; she's got time. She slots her phone back in her pocket and looks the girl over, taking in her outfit of worn white high top converse, a black pleated skirt, and a dark blue sweater with "FLORIDA" emblazoned across the chest in orange, a neat white collar pulled through the neck. She peels her hands away from her shoulders, huffing and turning on her heels to reach her board.

The girl, of course, doesn't know this and sees only a missed opportunity. "Wait, wait!" She calls, bending to pick up her board and hurrying after the taller girl. "Lauren, please, wait. Please show me, I'll— oh..."

Lauren smoothly kicks her board up, catching it with one hand and turning once more to face the girl.

"You'll show me?"

Lauren shrugs, setting her skateboard down and getting into position, with one foot on the tail.

"You wanna do this, right?" She clarifies, only putting about half of her usual effort in. Still, the girl widens her eyes and nods rapidly. "Right, that's called an ollie. You have to stand like this, then pop, slide, shove, land, okay?" She explains, demonstrating each step.

...

The following night, she's all but forgotten about the interaction until the last late skater leaves the park, and she finishes up, clambering to the top of the quarter pipe in the far corner of the park. That's when she hears the steps being repeated quietly, each time followed by a familiar thud. She makes sure she's near-silent as she makes her way to the railing and returning to the position she took the night before. A small smile forms on her face as she watches the girl shift her feet before trying again, though her right foot lands way too far back as the left launches the board down the small ditch surrounding the park. She huffs and hurries after it, spotting Lauren on the way back.

"I'm getting better!" She smiles, waving at the girl above her.

Lauren subtly lifts her fingers from the cold metal bar to return the gesture, moving one arm up to rest her cheek on her palm. She watches as the girl tries a few more times before stopping to catch her breath, her hands planted firmly on her hips. Today, she's wearing yet another skirt-sweater get up, though this time the white skirt and baby pink sweater are paired with a pink scrunchie holding back her ponytail. When the girl looks up with a broad though relaxed smile, still panting, Lauren has to clench her jaw in order to not smile back.

To distract herself, she decides, though it's more likely her curiosity has simply gotten the better of her, she asks, "What's your name?" The girl tips her head, so she adds, "You know mine, so it's only fair you tell me yours."

"Everyone knows your name, Lauren." She breathes, looking back down and stepping onto the board.

Lauren frowns, but the girl isn't wrong. She's earned herself a reputation at the high school they both attend, first for rejecting all the boys who flirted with her, then for dating the most popular girl at school, and finally for being the resident all-around badass who doesn't give a shit about anything or anyone. She grins slightly when the girl manages to keep the skateboard close, though her back foot still doesn't make it on. After a moment of silence, she hooks her skateboard on the coping of the ramp and drops in, feeling the wind rush past her as she tre flips over a small gap, opts for a simple frontside 180 on the opposite quarter pipe, and challenges herself to manual along the ledge that runs alongside gap, she only makes it halfway before her front end comes down and huffs as she comes to a slow stop near her favorite quarter pipe.

"Show me how to do that." The girl is unashamedly gawking, eyes wide and mouth even wider, which causes Lauren to chuckle.

"Work on your "jump" first." She teases, almost reaching out to ruffle the girl's hair.

To her surprise, her brown eyes light up. "So you will?"

"I never—"

"I'll tell you my name if you promise to teach me."

Lauren's airy tone drops. "You act like you're making a deal with the devil."

The girl shrugs innocently, even batting her lashes. "This is probably as close as I'll ever get. So, what d'ya say?"

Sharp green eyes drag up and down the stranger's body. There's no way she'll actually stick to skating long enough to learn an ollie. She's probably just trying to find a way to rebel against her parents in retaliation for them not buying her those pretty pink high heels. Plus, names are power; there's a reason the devil wants them so much. Promises don't really mean much to Lauren anymore, so she nods. "Sure, whatever."

The girl squeals happily, dropping her board to throw her arms open and stepping towards the girl, though she stops herself mid-step and awkwardly lowers her hands, clearing her throat and casting her gaze down to the ground.

"Your name?" Prompts Lauren impatiently.

"Oh, right." The girl hesitates a moment more before finally looking up, holding her slender hand out towards Lauren. "Camila," she announces. "My name is Camila."

"Camila," Lauren repeats slowly, cautiously shaking her hand. She shakes her head and comes out of the trance the smooth name seems to have put her under, pointing down at Camila's skateboard. "Focus on one step at a time."

With that, she hops up to grab her backpack from the top of the nearby quarterpipe, ignoring the girl—Camila's pleas to stay as she cruised toward the gate, pausing only to toss her belongings and herself over the barrier before she continues to ride home.

Distantly, she hears a call of, "See you tomorrow, Lauren!"