Sleepless Nights

All Seth wanted to do was dream of a better place in a better time.

_____

You both knew just as well as I did that I was having sleepless nights. You could both see it, see the clearly visible dark circles on my face, the messiness of my hair, and the dullness of my eyes. And you weren't wrong. I wasn't getting any sleep.

Every time I closed my eyes, they were back. The foolish, silly nightmares that had haunted me since childhood. Only this time, they were vivid, so vivid.

I'd been so used to having a hand to comfort me. To rub my back and let me know they were only dreams. To make late night runs to random food places if I couldn't calm myself down. To watch stupid shows with me at one in the morning when the night terrors returned. But these past few weeks, there was nothing.

And I deserved it.

I knew just as well as either of you that both of you were having sleepless nights. You both were snappier than usual, more on edge. Neither of you would talk to me. It was because of me that sleep could never find you.

You two didn't deserve it.

All because of me. Because of some fast-minded decision, I'd thrown away everything. Some dumb offer for money and fame and success. But I didn't want it anymore.

All I wanted was you two.

I wanted us to be the same again. I wanted someone to watch me when I was vulnerable, to fight side by side with me. I wanted us to be a team. But that couldn't happen anymore.

For the past month, every night had been spent praying. I don't even know why. I'd never really believed in a religion, but by now I was desperate. I prayed for you two to just forgive me. I prayed to go back in time and stop myself. I prayed to wake up from this nightmare I was living.

But this was a nightmare I could never escape. There was no one to help me, no one to save me. All I could do was hope that when I tried to sleep, I could be at peace.

But I knew that all I'd be getting were more sleepless nights.