mirror!

-CHAPTER TWO-
-
in which we discover
a boy with a heart of gold.
-
millie's p.o.v.

joe's hunched over one if his game controllers. the living room is filled with smoke and i see a cigarette at the tip of his friend's fingers.

"god." i cough. "brad's gonna beat your ass when he gets home joe."

brad's my stepfather, joe's dad. he's the hotshot business guy my mom fell head over heals for; the guy she left my father for.

"you know the rules-"

joe waves me off with his hand, not looking away from the tv. "-no smoking in the house. yeah, yeah, i know."

his friend looks up. "sorry, is this a problem? i can put out my smoke if you need."

his rough voice takes a moment to register in my mind.

oh.

i squeeze my eyes shut, this can't be happening.

"fuck!" joe slams his controller down on the coffee table. "stop eyeballing my stepsister wolfhard, you just cost us the game."

he leans back on the couch, finally looking up at me. "oh right, millie this is the guy i was talking about, from college." he gestures to the curly haired boy sitting on our couch. "finn-millie, millie-finn."

shit.

finn's eyes are wide, his freckled cheeks red; he puts out his cigarette quickly with shaky hands.

you fucked up millie.

he stands up and wipes his palms on his pants, reaching out to shake my hand. "nice to meet you millie." he winks.

i take his hand, hoping he can't tell how clammy mine are. "nice to meet you too."

joe just stares from the couch, his eyebrows raised.

finn holds my hand a second too long.
idiot.

"do uh.. you two know eachother or something?" joe asks, laughing.

before finn can mess this up, i answer. "no." my heart's beating fast, making it hard to breath.

finn scoffs, sitting back down and taking a sip of his water.

"good," joe replies. "eyes off my sister wolfhard, she's only 16."

finn nearly chokes on his drink.

"i'm going to go," i say, awkwardly, spinning on my heel to leave the room.

i don't even have to look back to know finn's watching me leave.

-

finn's p.o.v.

i fucked up, majorly.

but how was i supposed to know millie was joe's little sister?

i can't seem to concentrate on anything joe's saying for the next few minutes, my mind a little preoccupied.