One

TRIGGER WARNING: DEATH

Tick. Tick. Tick. The first thing Alexander noticed was the sound of a clock. The second was the cold, the freezing chill that brought a pink tint to the cheeks of anyone brave enough - or stupid - to go outside in the winter. The third thing he noticed was the unmistakable stench of death.

And suddenly he was in his room back on Nevis, in his mother's bed. He barely noticed his mother's arms wrapped around him, and he wouldn't have if not for the weak, off-rhythm thumps of his mother's heartbeat against his back. He was in too much pain to notice his brother, James, laying a wet cloth across his forehead.

"Thank you." His mom's voice was raspy, rough and hoarse, but to Alexander, it was the most beautiful symphony to ever grace his ears. He closed his eyes, savoring the moment. He didn't care that he was sick with God-knows-what. He was just happy to be alive and surrounded by his family.

"Hey, mom?" Alexander croaked, the act of talking hurting his throat more than he wanted to admit. He rolled over to face her.

Her eyes stared back at him, glazed over. He realized, horror filling him, that those weak, unsteady thumps against him had stopped.

"Mom? Mom!" Alexander shook his mother's lifeless body, tears filling his eyes.

"No!" Alexander shot up in bed.

A/N
Oof, the first chapter in my first book, and it's angst. You're welcome.

No, but really, I hope you enjoyed this, and if you did, it would be awesome if you voted on my book! This chapter has been in my drafts (my many, many drafts) for so long, and I finally published it! So hopefully you liked it, and if not, please comment and tell me what I should change. I know nobody really reads these things anyway, but if you did (or even of you didn't), thank you for checking out my book!