Five

Prompt: You're a police officer chasing a criminal. The criminal turns into an alley. You quickly dash in after them, but they're already gone.

'Being a police officer gives your life purpose,' they said. 'A great opportunity to serve your city,' they said. They didn't mention the excrutiating moments like this one.

My lungs burned from running. I must have chased her -whoever she really was - over two miles now, and there was no sign of it ending anytime soon. My feet pounded on the sidewalk as she drew closer to the main city. Who knows? Maybe she would be slowed by a group of people or something.  Hopefully she would be slowed by a group of people or something.

Suddenly she takes a sharp turn between a pizza place and a boutique. You barely have time to slow down enough to turn after her, but the alley is completely empty.

That's impossible. There's no other turns she could have taken, no cracks or crevices to dash into, not even as much as a trash bin or box to hide behind. The alley was too long for her to run through that fast, and even if she was somehow able to, there was a gate at the end. I slowly walk through, looking for any sign of a hiding place. Of course, there is not - I know this town like the back of my hand. And besides, growing up, I wasn't the best-behaved teenager. I'd had my fair share of hiding in alleys. The amount of times I have stooped so low as to hide inside a dumpster was dissapointing. I knew for a fact that there was no possible way she could have gotten away unless I was dealing with a goddamn Spider-Man. She couldn't have just vanished.

And so the hunt began.