48: A Coincidence

Mageia stood swiftly, unsheathing the dagger she stole with great skill. She knew she would have to face the inevitability of an audience, possibly a guard or a soldier who may or may not be friendly. But the person staring back at her did not serve in the authority. The positive energy surrounding the young lady strangely demanded she too stand down.

"You're her," she whispered, beginning to descend with caution.

At least in her mid-teens, the young lady was dressed in a beautiful casual tan dress with the red flame swirl sigil of Dawnis sewn into the fabric. Her hair, pinned in a messy bun, exposed her round face, revealing painted squinted eyes and small red lips.

"Who are you?" Mageia asked.

The girl came closer, and Mageia raised the dagger, despite her new magical sense's approval of the stranger.

"I am Suella, a student of the Priesthood, serving under Holy Dawnis," she said. She then looked at Gris with worry. "I heard his cries. You healed him."

"Um... I think so." Mageia lowered her dagger. "He needs a fisican."

"The fisican on-site left earlier when the riots broke," Suella said. "To your luck, I am also studying in medicine."

Mageia sighed with relief. "Please, help him."

"I can do better," she said with a sweet smile. "I know someone who will be honored to help you and your friend."

"My friend?" Mageia realized that the girl didn't recognize the prince. "He's Prince Grisonce."

Suella froze for a second, staring at the poor prince moaning in pain on the floor. "Really?"

"Yes," Mageia confirmed and gripped her dagger tighter.

"Very well, my father will be happy to be reunited with an old friend," she said.

"Your father?"

"Come help," Suella beckoned.

Once they raised Gris to his feet and planted him firmly on their shoulders, they ascended the staircase into another hallway. Except, this one was wider and possessed high pillars of various colors with beautiful designs. In all her life of living in Ardania, she never ventured into the Diviine Temple. The temple guards and soldiers would always check every visitor before entering to make sure they had good intentions. Fair and Strange were allowed inside, but they were separated within the sanctuary.

Awe overwhelmed Mageia as they crossed the hall and weaved around the massive circular sanctuary. Thankfully, no one was around. Trash, pieces of clothing, masks, puddles of dried blood, and sacrificed animals had been left when the temple was cleared. The noise outside penetrated the walls as if they were made of paper. Yet, despite the mess, the temple was beautiful.

Four large double doors sat propped open, the only exits into the rest of the temple. Great chandeliers hung scattered about the ceiling, shining light on cushioned benches lined in a circle around a dais. One sacrificial altar sat in the center of the dais, big enough to hold five human beings or animals. Smaller altars and shrines were built at the feet of the Diviine Six.

The Diviines sat on their sculpted thrones, dazzling in their gemstone and elaborate designs. They all stole Mageia's breath. Not only had she met the gods, but she found out that most of them had gone rogue and didn't care about the souls of Valeera. That's why a Fairest was needed.

Gris slouched over, coughing, pressing them to move faster. Suella led them upstairs to the second level and into an adjoined hall that curved and possessed many doors. Fancy and live with light, the hall assured Mageia that they would run into someone. A guard, a soldier, a priest, or slave ... someone, but no one popped out.