Chapter 1

The lyrics used in this chapter are from the song "Every Little Thing" by Carly Pearce.

Chicago, IL- Two weeks earlier

"They say time is the only healer, God, I hope that isn't right, Cause right now I'd die to not remember." Mia Roberts sang as she watched the sound guys test the equipment for that night's show.

"That sounds great Mia, we should be good to go tonight." Scott the sound tech replied as he gave her a thumbs up.

Mia nodded her head and went through the motions of sound checks and fittings. As one of the most popular and well known country singers, she was used to the hustle and excitement of touring and making music. She had a job that most people envied and she knew how lucky she was. In a few short years she had gone from a college girl at Princeton, to a superstar whose face was on the cover of magazines.

"Mia? Mia? Hello?" a voice called out snapping Mia out of her thoughts.

She looked up and came face to face with her best friend Colby, and Davis, her manager. Both were looking at her with mixtures of amusement and concern.

"What's up?" she asked as she walked back to her tour bus.

"Nothing's up with us, what's up with you? You have been just standing there like a bump on a log for the last few minutes, you looked like you were somewhere else." Davis said as he followed her.

"I'm fine, just tired. Maybe I can catch a nap before the show prep starts," Mia replied as she looked between her best friend and her manager with a sigh.

"Did that interview today really bother you that much?" Colby asked knowing Mia longer than anyone.

"Not so much the interview, just the questions about my personal life. Those are starting to get old." Mia answered as she pulled her hair into a messy ponytail relieved that she did not have to worry about looking like a polished star at the moment.

"Well, before long the gossip hounds will find a new target. Then you and Brett Thomas will be old news." Davis said while looking at his phone.

Mia had just ended things with her boyfriend of a year, Brett Thomas, an actor who had just landed a part in the new Bruce Willis movie. So it was natural for one to think that he would be on her mind, but it wasn't him that she was thinking about.

"It wasn't the questions about Brett that bothered me," Mia sighed knowing that her manager just did not get it.

"Davis let me handle this, come on Mia," the petite brunette said as she grabbed her friend's hand and pulled her back into her bunk.

"You were thinking about him again weren't you?" Colby asked as she sat down in front of her friend.

"What? No! I wasn't," Mia argued as she looked away from her best friend.

"You are a crappy liar Mia," Colby said raising an eyebrow, "I know you were thinking about Jamie, I didn't think you still thought about him, I mean what has it been eight years since you guys ended things?" Colby said raising an eyebrow.

"More like ten, but anyways, Jaime was my first love, what do you want me to say Colby?" Mia shook her head as she looked at one of the pictures that she kept on her bunk.

"Well we are going to be home the day after tomorrow, maybe you can talk to him and put things to rest?" Colby suggested.

"I don't think so, I mean we really haven't talked since we broke up. The last time we saw each other was at Thanksgiving after his brother passed away. He was engaged then. Heck, he is probably married with kids by now." Mia replied.