11

Chapter 11: Working, Working Day and Night

Daphne, Aspen's mom was all business, the furrowed brow she sported creating wrinkles on her forehead. One hand was firmly planted on the curve of her hip while her beady gaze was focused solely on her daughter as she strolled through the door without so much as a clue as to where she was the night prior. Briefly noting the green digital time claiming it was nine in the morning, she spoke. "Care to explain where you've been? You didn't leave a note or call."

"I know," Aspen retorted carelessly, tugging the messy bun from the top of her head and allowing the tresses to cascade down her shoulders. "—my phone died and Tori's phone charger doesn't work on mine."

"Tori?" A vague description of the teenager flashed behind Daphne's eyelids. "That's who you were with last night?"

The lie came easy, even with her mom's obvious suspicion that it wasn't really Tori she was with. "Yeah, she needed some help with her college applications."

Her efforts were accepted, her mother simply nodding and turning her attention back to the food she was tending to. "Okay."

Instead of rushing to her room right away like Aspen had planned, she lingered a moment, watching her mom in her own state of distraction, wearing her absent husbands way-to-big hoodie and some slippers. "Are you okay?"

The question startled her parent, eyes darting up to the prodding voice, her features softening when she finally realized what had been asked. "I'm fine now that I know you're safe."

Aspen smiled gently, her fingers gripping the railing tighter before darting up the stairs, her phone being tossed haphazardly on the bed.

Finally, some peace and quiet.

She didn't know where to start, her brain being solely focused on the handsome teenage boy that happily assaulted her senses at every waking moment. All she could replay was the sight of Eli laughing, how she felt when they would touch. The fact that he was spending all of his time with her and no other girl made her feel special, he wanted to know who she was for her and not for what she carried underneath her clothes.

Laying down in her bed, arms sprawled out on the comforter, her mahogany brown irises slid shut, no longer tired but reminiscing on the good memories she'd made with Elliot James. "Speak of the devil and he shall appear," Aspen muttered under her breath, her phone lighting up with a notification from none other that Eli, a goofy picture of him still perched in the treehouse, one hand stretched out beside him where Aspen had been nearly an hour ago. "Miss me already?" She typed out and sent back, clicking her phone out to a black screen before gathering a towel and her face wash to take a shower.