Chapter 1

“Wow Amee, whats that?’ asked Ramaa, caressing the beautiful lucent satin material. It was shocking pink in colour and lined by lace.
“You don’t know what this is? I thought you must be knowing by now!” laughed Ameeta, her cousin who was visiting them for the weekend.
Ramaa loved it when Ameeta visited them. It was such a refreshing change from the routine of this boring chawl she stayed in. Ameeta would tell her so many interesting stories about her college, and show her so many fascinating new things that Ramaa aspired to become just like her. And she knew she would, someday. For Ameeta had come from a far smaller village and Ramaa had seen how she had changed after arriving in Mumbai in the past two years.
Her possessions seemed so priced! Ramaa was always awestruck by the contents of her purse. The mascara, the eyeliner, the various shades of lipsticks, the variety of colourful eye shades; things she had only seen in the magazines which she loved to scroll through at the parlour where her mom worked. Since she was younger, Ramaa loved to just go and sit in the parlour while her mom finished assisting her boss with the last client. She would then pick magazine after magazine and glare at the photos of the beautiful heroines with their picture perfect figures, shiny milky white skin, dazzling smiles and fashionable dresses. She would move her hand across those clothes wishing she could feel the soft touch of the satin they wore.
“Don’t you wear any?” mocked Ameeta, bringing her back to the present.
Ramaa felt the satin of the bra in her hand once more. Then she picked the black one which seemed stiff, like a wire was inserted beneath the cups. The shape seemed odd.
“Where are the straps?” she asked.
“It’s called a strapless bra Ramaa,” Ameeta said, slowly seizing it out of her hands and folding it gently.
“Check this out,” and with that, she handed a lavender coloured bra that had an intricate flowery pattern on it.
“How does this hold its shape?” Ramaa asked, naively.
Ameeta smiled. “This is a contour bra. Contour bras have seamless, pre-formed cups containing a foam or other lining that helps define and hold the cup's shape, even when not being worn. Do you like it?”
“Wow…I have seen such bras in magazine only,” Ramaa said, still looking at the bra with fascination.
“You want some designer bra’s?” Ameeta asked.
Ramaa’s eyes lit up. She looked at Ameeta in excitement, but just as soon, her face fell.
“What happened?” Ameeta asked, noticing her expression.
“We can’t afford them,” Ramaa sighed, “I am sure they must be pretty expensive”.

to be continued...