Chapter 2

“What happened?” Ameeta asked, noticing her expression.
“We can’t afford them,” Ramaa sighed, “I am sure they must be pretty expensive”.
“Not all are very expensive. I know a shop where they sell at discount. We can go there next weekend. I will gift them to you,” Ameeta said.
Ecstatic at the prospect, Ramaa hugged her cousin and began helping her pack her things.
On her way back after dropping Ameeta to the station for her local train, Ramaa passed the new boy in the chawl. She had seen him a few times now, and he was probably here to stay. All she knew was that he was Rukmini aunty’s guest. The thing that bothered her about him was, he never gave her a second glance. Ramaa might not be the fair beauty that magazines lying in parlours portray, but she knew she looked attractive. Her light brown eyes went well with her dusky complexion, her heart shaped face complimented her slender figure and her long thick black wavy hair that reached her waist added a bounce to her step. People told her her eyelashes were unusually long adding a seductive tone to them, and her smile lit up her face. She was used to strangers turning around to take a second look at her and people glaring at her. So she was really bothered by his shrewd attitude.
She shook her head and continued on her way. She couldn’t contain her excitement. Just seven more days and she would be the proud owner of her dream bra!
The next day in school was as boring as ever. The maths teacher droned on and on about some terrible geometric calculations. Ramaa was physically present there, but her mind was far far away, walking in a mall, touching the beautiful satin of the designer bras on display, feeling the soft foam that held the cups…
“Ramaa,” she was cruelly brought back from her reverie.
“Will you stop staring into space and tell us the answer?” thundered the teacher.
Ramaa stood up and hung her head down. How could she tell the answer when she did not know the question! She was about to say something when a movement next to the window caught her eye. It was him. The same boy from her chawl. What was he doing here? Had he taken admission here?
“Ramaa!”thundered the teacher again, “Where are you lost?”
“I…I am sorry madam,” Ramaa uttered turned to look back at window. But he was gone.

to be continued