Chapter 4

I'm sitting here in this rinkity ass diner, I'm not even really sure why except that I couldn't stop thinking about those lifeless eyes all last night. I didn't get much sleep, playing over in my head the things that happened. Then I remembered when we were coming through the diner that her boss had yelled that she was fired and for some reason it being our fault just didn't sit right with me. So I came here today to convince him otherwise, and I suceeded in that, naturally.

I had asked what time she came in and he said 5:00, which wasn't too long from when I got there, so I waited. I don't know what I was thinking.. I just had to see her again.

Then there she was. Her boss was talking to her and then they looked at me. I hadn't expected him to tell her I was the reason why she wasn't fired. She immediatley started walking toward me, looking more nervous the closer she got. Honestly I got happier the closer she got to me too...

"Hey there how're you?" She barely got out of those beautiful lips.

I had to smile at that. She obviously wasn't from around here with that accent. I lowered my sunglasses, knowing she might realize who I was, but I didn't care, what was she gonna do about it.

The color immediatley drained from her face and she started looking like she was going to freak out.

***

My feet were anchored to the floor and my eyes were darting around looking for some kind of help, I had no idea what to do.

"Sit down." He said.

I don't know what came over me but I automatically did what he said. I have no idea who this guy is or how it is that he can do that to me.

I was so scared. Was he here to kill me now?

"I-I haven't told anyone.. p-please don't kill me." Tears started to form in my eyes.

"Woah woah woah. Calm down I'm not here to kill you."

"Oh... then why are you here?"

He looked like he didn't know how to answer that. He suddenly looked like he was worried. Why was he worried? I looked around us trying to figure out what he saw, then I realized he was staring at my face.. my lip. I reached my hand up and touched my swollen cheek, then the split in my lip.

"Who did this to you?" His brows furrowed like he was angry.

"No one." I said looking away, ashamed.

Then I felt a strong hand gently take my chin and turn my face toward him.

"Do not lie to me. I don't deal with liars. Who dared disgrace such beauty?"

My eyes shot to his, surprised at his words, no one ever said things like that to me. "M-my boyfriend.." I said.

"That pezzo di merda on your couch last night?" He said looking angrier than before.

I didn't really have a clue what he just said but he was obviously talking about Matt so I nodded my head.

"A man should never lay a hand on a woman to hurt her! Bastardo!"

Why was he so angry? He had a gun to my head last night.. why did he care that Matt beat me around?

If looks could kill, everyone in this restaurant would be dead from the look in his eyes.

He suddenly stood up, "remember don't open you're mouth. I have to go. Goodbye Tesoro."

With that he walked out, leaving me speechless and completley confused. Why was he angry? Why was he here? What does tesoro mean?

After a few minutes I knew if I didn't get to work Barney was gonna fire me, again.

The rest of my shift went by in a daze. All I could think about was this man. The most beautiful man I'd ever seen. I could feel my cheeks flush when I thought about the way it had felt when he had touched my face.. like my skin was on fire..

I found myself wishing I knew his name or he knew mine. I wanted to see him again..

What kind of lunacy was that? He had almost shot me last night and now I wanted to see him again...