prologue

"Darcy Clives,"I mutter as I type the student list for my own class this year.They need it posted and printed by tomorrow.As the youngest Student Council member,I often find myself assigned to simple,tedious jobs-the kind the seniors don't want to worry themselves with.My title sounds impressive,but the reality is much more patronising.

My desk isn't cluttered,far from it,but the white-framed bulletin board before me flakes flecks of cork onto the black tabletop.The pens are catching dust in their holders.I don't stay long,and not often,so my room doesn't feel...lived in,especially after summer holiday.At least my roommate seems happy.At least I don't have to see my parents.At least Cecil brings good tea.

I type fast,and the list is finished within minutes.It goes on the school website,then in the inboxes of my whole class.I power off the laptop,drink my entire mug of piping hot green tea in one mouthful,and fall back against the bed.It's three in the morning.I want to cry.
------------------------------------------------
"Verity Chau."I read off my phone.The light cast on the walls paints my sunflower yellow wallpaper grey in the dark.I'm in a class with a school celebrity?

Heh,I'm lucky.Everyone knows Verity.Bookishly pretty,Junior Editor,speaks three languages,School Council member.Only talked to her twice last year,but she seemed alright.Verity's the no-frills,"cool study nerd" kind of popular,and the most talented Year 9 kid I know of.At least,her sort of talent gets appreciated.I'm just the art kid.

I turn over in the sheets and kick my bedside table in the process (how?),my bottle of meds tumbling to the floor.I sleep anyway,it's three in the morning.I wanna disappear.