One.

Luke »

The sound of my cell phone going off beside me woke me from my peaceful slumber. A groan of disapproval left my lips as I rolled over onto my stomach, reaching out to grab my phone off of the nightstand.

It took a minute for my eyes to adjust to the brightness, but when they did I caught sight of the time. 2:47. Who could possibly be calling me at this time? I went and unlocked my phone, going to see who the missed call was from. My eyes landed on the picture that I had taken of Carter.

She was laughing, her mouth wide open. I clicked on her contact, pressing my phone to my ear calling her back. The phone rang a few times, before her weak voice filled my ears.

“Luke?” She croaked. I instantly sat up in my bed, worry rushing over me. Ever ounce of fatigue that once roamed my body was drained. She sounded like she had been crying, she wasn't okay.

“Yeah, Carter? What's the matter?”

“Can you come get me? I-I don't know where I am.” I listened closely to hear any background noises, that would help me figure out where she was. Complete silence. I pulled myself off of my bed, throwing on a pair of jeans over my boxers.

“Yeah, I'm coming. What happened to Jase?” Usually when she went to his house at night, she'd just stay over or he'd drop her off at his house. Quickly slipping a pair of sneakers on my feet, I made my way out of my bedroom.

“He got mad at me, I was being a bitch. He kicked me out. I thought I'd be able to find my way home on my own, but I got lost.” I scoffed at her words, grabbing my car keys and leaving my house.

Who just throws a girl out like that? Jase didn't live in our neighborhood, I wasn't even sure where he lived. I knew he didn't live close, though. It always took Carter awhile to get back from his house.

“We'll talk more when I get you. Right now, how about you look around. Look for something that can define where you are.” I instructed. She obliged, the line went silent for a bit.

I pulled out of the driveway of my house, driving down the street getting out of the neighborhood. “There's a whole lot of bushes.” Carter spoke up; “There's like this beat up looking auto shop. Louis and Friends. That's what it's called.” I raked my brain, trying to figure out if I knew any place like that.

I didn't.

“Do you have GPS on your phone?” I questioned. “Yeah..” I could tell by her voice that she had forgotten that she even had it. I heard the light tapping on her phone as she searched where she was on her GPS. I waited patiently for her to come back and tell me where to pick her up.

“South Eastwood.” She spoke into the phone. Lucky enough, I knew exactly where that was.

Twenty minutes later, I was pulled in front of Louis and Friends. Sitting at the curb was Carter. She wore the same sneakers and jeans from earlier, her short hair pulled back into a ponytail. The graphic tee she had on before was covered by a sweater, her cheeks were flushed.