Chapter Twenty-Four

"If you lived on this island, I'd never want to leave either."

Why did he have to go and say that? Maggie thought as she and Tag trekked along the moonlit sand in silence. Just when everything was going so smoothly!

She'd been having such a great time, as had Tag. His friends had welcomed her like she was one of their own, and they were all so fun and down-to-earth—nothing at all like the highbrow stiffs that Kevin chose to spend time with. Maggie couldn't remember the last time she'd felt so at-ease, and she'd never seen Tag laugh as much as he had that night. Coming back there had changed him somehow, in a way that made Maggie's heart race all the more, no matter how hard she tried to deny it.

But she had denied it, for hours, until he'd gone and said what he'd said. Until she'd been caught off-guard by the soft wisp of longing in his voice, by the sincerity in his eyes coupled with the warm firelight glow. In that moment, Maggie had known. She'd known that, despite everything that was safe and virtuous and proper, she felt the same way about him. Wherever Tag Vitale went was where she wanted to be. And from that realization, there was no going back.

Damn him! she thought, tears filling her eyes. Why couldn't he just leave well enough alone?

Too soon, they reached the point that would carry them around to the secluded pocket of shoreline that Maggie had already come to think of as theirs. The path they had taken before lay deeply submerged by the tide waters, so they were forced to scramble up over the rocks and boulders of the jetty that kept the land from eroding into the sea. Tag led the way without saying a word, and Maggie followed in silence, her heart thumping harder with every step. Upon reaching the opposite side, Tag hopped down onto the sand and held out a hand to help her do the same. Maggie froze.

"I can't," she said. "I don't know how."

"Sure you do," Tag assured her. "Just jump, it's not that far down."

"No, not that, Maggie said. "I mean us. I don't know how to do... us."

Tag sighed, raking a hand through his hair. "Look, Maggie, about what I said back there. I'm sorry. I didn't mean it."

"You didn't?"

"No," Tag said, and then shook his head in frustration. "I mean, yes, of course I meant it! But I shouldn't have said it. I promised you that I wouldn't push, and that was pushing. I'm sorry for making you mad, and I'm sorry for spoiling your night."

He turned away and leaned back against the boulder, staring off into the distance. Maggie crouched down to sit behind him.

"You didn't spoil my night," she said, her fingers toying nervously with the hair at the nape of his neck. "And I'm not mad. I'm just... scared."

"Of what?" Tag murmured, not turning around.

"Of everything," Maggie admitted. "Of you, of me, of whatever this is that's happening between us. I'm scared of the way I feel lately, whenever you're around. I just... I don't know what I'm supposed to do now. I've never felt this way before."

"Neither have I." Tag turned around to face her, the silver moonlight reflected in his eyes. "But maybe we can figure it out together?"

He held out his hand again. Maggie scooted forward and looped her arms around his neck, allowing him to lift her down from the boulder. With her eyes level with his and her feet still several inches above the sand, Tag placed a small, soft kiss on her lips. Maggie closed her eyes as a single tear rolled down her cheek. Opening them again, she stared deep into his eyes.